Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to the forum and would like a little honest advice on these two machines. I'm going to make a purchase and wanted to get a little input on the Viking. Based on everything I have read on this forum, the Viking is the machine to get. I am looking for a dependable machine to hunt, fish, and maybe ride around the woods with. I have looked at most all SxS and narrowed my list to the Viking and Teryx. Based on my research, the Viking is a little under powered but very dependable. The Teryx has suitable power but has issues with improperly designed belt. Give me a little feedback on why I should sacrifice dependability for a few more HP.
BTW, my dealer sells both so he is indifferent with regards to my purchase. I would also like some feedback on the Yamaha accessories dealer furnished. I'm looking to put a windshield and a winch for now, go OEM or purchase aftermarket? I would appreciate any feedback you guys may have.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I'm brand new to the forum and would like a little honest advice on these two machines. I'm going to make a purchase and wanted to get a little input on the Viking. Based on everything I have read on this forum, the Viking is the machine to get. I am looking for a dependable machine to hunt, fish, and maybe ride around the woods with. I have looked at most all SxS and narrowed my list to the Viking and Teryx. Based on my research, the Viking is a little under powered but very dependable. The Teryx has suitable power but has issues with improperly designed belt. Give me a little feedback on why I should sacrifice dependability for a few more HP.
BTW, my dealer sells both so he is indifferent with regards to my purchase. I would also like some feedback on the Yamaha accessories dealer furnished. I'm looking to put a windshield and a winch for now, go OEM or purchase aftermarket? I would appreciate any feedback you guys may have.
Hey there, welcome to the site.

You cant go wrong with Yamaha, iv had them many times over the years, and they never let me down. Tried a Polaris couple year's ago, it wasn't but a problem. Never had a Kawi.

Far as acccessories go, Yamaha makes some good stuff, Ive got a ton of em on my Viking, and there very well made, very happy with them.

I went aftermarket on the windshield, its vented, and is made and sold by UTV Headquaters. On a winch, id go aftermarket, we have a great company here on the site called Motoalliance, they make the VIPER winches, and from what ive read over the years, they have awesome customer service. They offer some really nice stuff with there winches, and offer members a really good price, alot cheaper than the Yamaha Winches.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Everyone here chose the viking I ride with a guy in a teryx and im always pulling him out there both good machines I have heard of belt issues with the kawi

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I ruled out teryx based on bed and seating capacity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blue Wolf

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I had always had Yamaha, never let me down, then 2010 came and we wanted a SXS so my 2 little nieces could go riding with us. I would have went Yamaha no doubt, but Rhino was to small, and only 2 seats. So we gave Polaris a try, that was a mistake, anyways, soon as i heard about the Viking, i put the Ranger up for sale, and put money down on a Viking. Never was interested in anything but Yamaha, and like said above the Kawi, doesn't have much a of a bed, etc.

Far as power goes, the Viking is pretty descent, but could use more, maybe i just feel that way, cause i also have a 2011 Can-am Outlander 800 with 71hp Rotax V-Twin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am deciding on the two right now. I owned a 2007 Rhino and a 2010 Teryx. The new Viking and Teryx have many refinements over the previous models, but the results are much the same. Teryx has a little more performance with the Yamaha the top on reliability/quality. The new Teryx is a very nice machine. More powerful motor (783 twin) and now has the electronic front diff instead of the crappy cable locker. It also now has a wet clutch instead of the old snowmobile clutch. True engine breaking now instead of electronic engine breaking. Built in storage on the Teryx is awesome. Same reliable rear oil bathed triple disc brake is still there. Comes standard with powersteering and nice Fox piggybacks standard. All this and about $1000 cheaper than the Viking. On paper the Teryx should beat the Viking hands down, but there is something that just draws me to the Viking. I just like Yamaha.

One thing IMO that the Viking is better at is to me the seating position is much more comfortable. The Teryx high back bucket sits almost exactly like the old low backs do. The top of the seat is just for show because it is not used while driving. The foot position on the exelerator is very uncomfortable also, with the foot extended up to the pedal because of seat height. This is an issue for me because I routinely do 50+ mile rides. My foot cramps. There is a fix for this, but I do not like it.

I dont believe you can go wrong with either machine. I will decide soon......or maybe continue to hold out for that Yamaha Sport....:confused::D

·
Registered
854 Posts
I am deciding on the two right now. I owned a 2007 Rhino and a 2010 Teryx. The new Viking and Teryx have many refinements over the previous models, but the results are much the same. Teryx has a little more performance with the Yamaha the top on reliability/quality. The new Teryx is a very nice machine. More powerful motor (783 twin) and now has the electronic front diff instead of the crappy cable locker. It also now has a wet clutch instead of the old snowmobile clutch. True engine breaking now instead of electronic engine breaking. Built in storage on the Teryx is awesome. Same reliable rear oil bathed triple disc brake is still there. Comes standard with powersteering and nice Fox piggybacks standard. All this and about $1000 cheaper than the Viking. On paper the Teryx should beat the Viking hands down, but there is something that just draws me to the Viking. I just like Yamaha.

One thing IMO that the Viking is better at is to me the seating position is much more comfortable. The Teryx high back bucket sits almost exactly like the old low backs do. The top of the seat is just for show because it is not used while driving. The foot position on the exelerator is very uncomfortable also, with the foot extended up to the pedal because of seat height. This is an issue for me because I routinely do 50+ mile rides. My foot cramps. There is a fix for this, but I do not like it.

I dont believe you can go wrong with either machine. I will decide soon......or maybe continue to hold out for that Yamaha Sport....:confused::D
Not sure if I missed you posting about what you will be using it for but I think if it's a work vehicle which you'll be on for long periods of time then comfort might be something to put on the top of the list

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled the trigger on the Teryx today. Very difficult decision since my dealer sells both. I had them side by side and it came down to the powerplant. Yamaha has a very good machine, I could have gone either way. The Teryx came with EPS and a 3 year warranty, that and a V twin powerplant was too much to pass up.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Well, i cant blame ya, the Teryx is pretty cool, and like you mentioned, has that nice V-twin motor!! I love the sound of a V-Twin, like my Can-am 800, so mean souding, my neighbor thought it sounded like a Harley when i fired it up.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I can imagine, what color did ya go with?

Have fun with it!! Hope it does good for ya.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the Teryx today. Very difficult decision since my dealer sells both. I had them side by side and it came down to the powerplant. Yamaha has a very good machine, I could have gone either way. The Teryx came with EPS and a 3 year warranty, that and a V twin powerplant was too much to pass up.

I would love to hear your experience with the Teryx. I have tested one, and personally I think it is more built for recreation with the softer shocks and punchier engine. The fit and finish seems really nice as well. The engine is oh so smooth!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts