Viking Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how the Yamaha poly fold-down windshield is holding up? Is it fairly scratch resistant? Would you buy it again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
965 Posts
i dont have one on my viking, but i did have one on my rhino and if it is made out of the same material i wouldn't recommend it if you do a lot of woods riding. it was not scratch resistant by any means, I owned it for 2 years and could hardly see through it when i got rid of it. (in the summer i did do a lot of riding with it folded down though) but that is why on the viking i went with the short windshield, it blocks just enough wind and never have to worry about scratches or mud blocking your view

·
Registered
164 Posts
i dont have one on my viking, but i did have one on my rhino and if it is made out of the same material i wouldn't recommend it if you do a lot of woods riding. it was not scratch resistant by any means, I owned it for 2 years and could hardly see through it when i got rid of it. (in the summer i did do a lot of riding with it folded down though) but that is why on the viking i went with the short windshield, it blocks just enough wind and never have to worry about scratches or mud blocking your view
I did not think the Yamaha one for the Rhino was a fold down? It just pushed out to let air in. I don't think any of them are scratch resistence. I could also say this that the Yamaha ones are way better quality, then the after market ones in terms of scratch resistence. The ones for the rhino did rattle a little bit when it was cold out, but still functioned well.

I had a short windscreen on my Rhino and it was very good, but I guess it all depends when you are riding it and in how much cold or wet wheather you will be riding it.

IMO, it seems to be the best windshield that I have seen made yet in that type of combination.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ive never have had the Yamaha brand windshields, for this is my first Yamaha UTV. But i do have the Vented UTV HQ Vented windshield, and very happy with it, its says its "Hard Coated", not sure if the Yamaha is or not. Being able to open the Vents is really nice on the hot days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yamaha Viking Hard Coated Dual Windshield | eBay

Whats everyone think of this one? I actually think this is a great option. Just not usre the quality of the glass. Meaning is it the same quality as the yamaha in resistance to scratching.
Armor Tech should have thier folding windshield ready for production soon. It will be better quality and have automotive safety glass. Im not sure on the price yet but the ranger windshields are in the $500 - 650 range.

I have the yamaha folding windshield and it is pretty nice. It is cracked already due to a branch accident. It seems to be clearer than a non hard coated windshield.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Armor Tech should have thier folding windshield ready for production soon. It will be better quality and have automotive safety glass. Im not sure on the price yet but the ranger windshields are in the $500 - 650 range.

I have the yamaha folding windshield and it is pretty nice. It is cracked already due to a branch accident. It seems to be clearer than a non hard coated windshield.
Armor Tech is a nice peice, but prob a little more then I need. Looks really heavy as well..

That is my fear of the Yamaha Folded down one as when placed in the down position, I could see tree branches getting stuck between the shield and the hood when cruising through the bush. I see it getting caught alot.

I like the one in the ebay link as the 2 halfes can be separated. In my case, I would only need the full windshield in the fall or spring ride. I don't usually use a side x side or ATV for that matter in the winter as there is just to much snow where I live. The snow would really need to be hard and packed to use one. Not always the case.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just wondering how the Yamaha poly fold-down windshield is holding up? Is it fairly scratch resistant? Would you buy it again?

Thanks.

Been crashing through the brush on trails only wide enough for a four wheeler for just over 100 miles and the windshield is still fairly scratch free. It is tougher than a standard sheet of plexiglass. Also not too tough to clean. Someday a upgrade to real glass may be in order so I can have a wiper but for now I am happy with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anybody have any new information or thoughts on any of the windshields now that the Viking has been around for a longer time now? I am trying to decide between fold down, vented or two piece. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I've got the vented and really like it alot

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
i have the factory yamaha windshield and 175 miles on my sxs. the trails i ride are tight and brushy. so far i have a few scratches right on the edges of the windshield were it wraps around the roll bars but other than that looks brand new. dont wipe off a dusty dirty window until you can wet it down good and i think they will last a long time. i do think in the down position it would be prone to sticks breaking it so i just leave mine up all the time

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Yamaha fold down windshield and no issues. I like the fact that when I ride in the winter, it blocks that cold air. In the summer time I always have it down for ventilation unless we are riding new trail where I keep it up so I don't swallow spiders and their webs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the little half-height Yamaha windshield. It works perfect for keeping bugs out of our face. It's also great at airflow. Very durable so far. Fits perfectly with quality hardware. One thing I noticed is it actually sucks warm air from the engine up into the cabin. It gets downright hot in the summer. Will probably be about right in the winter here in SoCal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts