Viking Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone check out the extra battery hook up Yamaha offers in the accessories for the Viking? Where does the extra battery go?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I believe it goes under the drivers seat just ahead of the rear wheel.
If you have installed the underseat storage box you would find a big area vacant!
Yamaha wants lots of greenbacks for the kit.
Try 1XD-H21B0-V0-00. About $400 here in Canada.
Under the Passenger seat is fuel tank.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It might go under the passenger seat!! there is a large open area there.
I was thinking the same thing with the extra space I kind of figured that something belongs there.

Didn't someone already put a battery under there? Not sure if it was out from factory though.

·
Super Moderator
4,473 Posts
do these secondary batterys get charged from the engines regular alternator?
Yes, if you link them together with a purpose made solenoid. We use Redarc in Australia, not sure if you have them there, the Redarc solenoid seperates the two batteries when the engine is off, so you can run the auxiliary battery down without affecting the start battery, then the Redarc links them together after the engine starts and after the start battery comes up to its full charge, then they both charge together as one.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, if you link them together with a purpose made solenoid. We use Redarc in Australia, not sure if you have them there, the Redarc solenoid seperates the two batteries when the engine is off, so you can run the auxiliary battery down without affecting the start battery, then the Redarc links them together after the engine starts and after the start battery comes up to its full charge, then they both charge together as one.
Thanks for pointing that out cactus. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe it goes under the drivers seat just ahead of the rear wheel.
If you have installed the underseat storage box you would find a big area vacant!
Yamaha wants lots of greenbacks for the kit.
Try 1XD-H21B0-V0-00. About $400 here in Canada.
Under the Passenger seat is fuel tank.
I will get a price from my dealer and see what it costs and compare the 2.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Try a auto parts dealer and ask them the price of a Battery Isolator(Cole Hersee makes one). That is about all you need, and some cables. Make your own battery mount. But make sure all your high amperage toys are hooked to your second battery.

Reactions: Yammerhammer

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just out of curiosity, couldn't you just mount a big battery like an optima under the drivers seat and run heavy gauge wire up to stock location and tie into everything and Remove the stock battery? Obviously you wouldn't have an isolated dedicated start battery, but I can promise you won't run a blue top dead in a sxs. I replaced my stock battery on my rzr 900 with the optima and could run my system for hours at rather obnoxious volumes and not even phase that battery.

·
Super Moderator
4,473 Posts
Just out of curiosity, couldn't you just mount a big battery like an optima under the drivers seat and run heavy gauge wire up to stock location and tie into everything and Remove the stock battery? Obviously you wouldn't have an isolated dedicated start battery, but I can promise you won't run a blue top dead in a sxs. I replaced my stock battery on my rzr 900 with the optima and could run my system for hours at rather obnoxious volumes and not even phase that battery.
Yeah you could replace the small stock one with a bigger one, the stock one is 28 amp/hr, I don't know how many amps the alternator puts out but you might find yourself in trouble if you ever did run the big battery down, it might take 3 or 4 hours of riding to charge it back up. And if the alternator is only 20 amps it might take 5 or 6 hours of riding to bring the big battery back up. Like you said though, it would be unlikely that you would ever run a 120 amp/hr battery down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the lead on this. Gonna consider this as one of my options.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts