Viking Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
Hot cold hot cold can draw moisture in over time, maybe it's that? Maybe put a clear vent tube on, run it vertically down 12 inches or more below the fan then turn it 180 degrees and run it into the fuse area. That way water will collect in the bottom bend where you can see it.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I went out and took a look at the fan set up and it would be easy to just flip the whole thing over, would have to extent the fan 12 volt wires a bit, also thought of another idea, I have drip irrigation emitters that act like a check valve, put one of those in the end of the tube and no water gets in but air from heat could get out I think. I look forward to any replies you guy/gals can come up with, maybe we can solve Yamaha's fan problem, with farm boy engineering.

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
You need the air to go both in and out, and easily too, a small motorcycle fuel filter was the best that we came up with years ago, unless someone has a better idea! Spraying WD up the vent tube every service would work too.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I had sent a email to Tripac and they replied that it is up to Yamaha as to the position of the fan motor vent up or down. I have a long piece of tube connected to the vent and placed up in the electrical box with the tip pointing down so it would be pretty hard to get any outside water in it. Electrical devices that cycle heat and cooling cause condensation to form, so in this fan motor housing if it forms condensation how is it supposed to drain out, just wondering?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Can you get to the vent without taking the fan out?

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
I had sent a email to Tripac and they replied that it is up to Yamaha as to the position of the fan motor vent up or down. I have a long piece of tube connected to the vent and placed up in the electrical box with the tip pointing down so it would be pretty hard to get any outside water in it. Electrical devices that cycle heat and cooling cause condensation to form, so in this fan motor housing if it forms condensation how is it supposed to drain out, just wondering?
Yeah seems strange, maybe they just didn't think about it, or maybe it's designed to fail!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Sport4x4, You can get at the tube but it is a real bitch, easier to remove the whole thing. 4 bolts, remove the clamp off and remove the right rad hose, disconnect the power plug and out she comes. Have to use a pan to catch a bit of coolant, real easy job.
Cactus: I've sent a email to Yamaha to see if I can raise some dust, told them I want to get in touch with a engineer or somebody that know something about a Viking sidexside. We'll see what happens, stay tuned.

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
Awesome!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
This morning I spoke with a couple of automotive guys here in Az who have been in the business for years and I told them about the fan problems and that they have a vent tube. They said that no auto electric fan has a vent of any kind that they know of and they have never heard of a auto fan failing due to water in it. My Honda CRV has two fans and no vents, so I go and start looking up ATV radiator fans on the web I didn't see any Polaris, Honda and a few other fans with vent tubes. I think most Can Am's have the vent tube. So now the questions is why does Yamaha fan's have vent tubes and do they really need it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good question

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
I'm pretty sure that auto electric fans have a water proof membrane as their breather, which isn't usually noticeable if you're not looking for it, same as LED light bars do. If they don't have a breather of some sort they will suck moisture in past the shaft seal and fail. Also auto fans never go underwater. The Viking is often submerged so a snorkel tube is a better choice than a membrane as a breather if you must have an electric fan. It's just strange that it is facing up. I think this is why 4wd's usually always use a thermo viscous engine driven fan as opposed to an electric fan, much better for river crossings etc. I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere on a hot day on a gnarly 4wd track and have your hot electric fan fail because it was quenched suddenly in a river crossing and sucked water in. Too unreliable in severe conditions. Tractors use viscous too.

I think turn the vent tube down and put a longer hose on like you have done, or a filter on the end. I'm going to turn my fan around.

Even SPAL say that if you mount their fans horizontally you must put a drain tube on the hub.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I'm going to turn mine 180 degrees so the vent tube is down and extend the vent tube up somewhere in the body that would be hard to get water. Will have to extend the 12 volt power/grd wires a bit to reach the connection. Monday I'm going to see if I can get in touch with somebody at Yamaha that can answer this simple question, probably a waste of time but you never know.

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
I think I've worked it out, I'm thinking now that they put the vent tube up deliberately so that the snorkel can just run straight up into the bonnet area, thinking that would be good enough to keep moisture out. If you turn the fan around that will drain the motor, but you would have to run the drain tube straight down so it can drain, which you can't do of course because of river crossings. So it's pointless turning the fan around and putting the vent down and then having the hose running up, water will still get into the fan, it'll probably just take a little longer. The answer is to leave the vent up and put a heaps longer tube on it, or poke the end into the frame, or plug it with a filter. It's a snorkel, not a drain.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have not had much time to look into this yet since I just got my Viking on Thursday, but I have a river on my property that I cross all the time so I will need to do something it sounds like. I did look under the hood yesterday but couldn’t see any vent for the fan motor. Where does the vent tube end up? Im thinking the easiest fix will be adding the filter to the end of the vent tube.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Sport: If you are in front of the machine, on mine, the tube comes up into the battery area on the left side along with the other tubes, I believe one is for the front diff, and just ends around where the electrical relays are.
Cactus: You have a great point about the tube coming out of the bottom, when I fixed what the shop had done I did use a real long piece of tube and routed it up under the body. I was thinking about putting one of those fish tank air line diffusers in the end. I'm still going to see if I can get in touch with somebody at Yamaha tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Ok, going to leave the fan motor where it is, ran the vent tube along with the other two up into the battery compartment and above the motor air filter intake all tied down so they will not go anywhere. The other two vent lines are one for the radiator surge tank and one for the front differential. We'll see how this works
Yamaha Battery compartment.jpg
out.

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
I have not had much time to look into this yet since I just got my Viking on Thursday, but I have a river on my property that I cross all the time so I will need to do something it sounds like. I did look under the hood yesterday but couldn’t see any vent for the fan motor. Where does the vent tube end up? Im thinking the easiest fix will be adding the filter to the end of the vent tube.
As AZ said it runs up into the electrical bay, mine actually pokes back down into the "wet" area under the bike, through a small rectangular hole front left, which looks made for it. I've moved it into the "dry" electrical bay. I'll put a filter on it, I thought of stuffing it with cotton wool, but that will probably suck moisture in, maybe stuff it with steel wool might be an easy fix?

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
Ok, going to leave the fan motor where it is, ran the vent tube along with the other two up into the battery compartment and above the motor air filter intake all tied down so they will not go anywhere. The other two vent lines are one for the radiator surge tank and one for the front differential. We'll see how this works out.
That looks good but I wouldn't end the surge tank line right next to the fan snorkel, maybe end the surge line down into the small rectangle I mentioned earlier? And stick the fish tank diffuser on the fan line for sure, good idea.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Cactus, good idea with the surge tank overflow tube, now that I think about it the thing shouldn't dump out in the battery/electrical area. I'm going to move it somewhere else. Don't need coolant dumped in the electrical bay.

·
Super Moderator
4,280 Posts
Monday I'm going to see if I can get in touch with somebody at Yamaha that can answer this simple question, probably a waste of time but you never know.
Any news out of Yamaha, I know getting info out of Yamaha Australia is like getting fark all out of fark all.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts