Registered
3,676 Posts
Thanks for the vid Andy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the vid Andy.
I have just seen lots of fan issues lately all over and some people got it right with the fan and some did not. I just wanted to do a detailed diag video so the DIY guy could do a professional diagnosis and not put hard earned money into the wrong parts that would not fix his or her machine. Everyone wants to know when they spend the money that the part they are replacing is for sure going to fix their machine.

·
Registered
986 Posts
SPAL for the win. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Yamaha Viking fans are a problem, last year when mine was new the fan stopped working, I checked fuse, breaker, relay and put 12 volt straight to the fan no go. Because it was under warranty I hauled it down to the dealer for repair. Their tech checked everything out and the fan worked perfect. Haul her home and have used it with not problem until last Sat morning went out to meet a group and the fan noworkie again. Checked everything out again "it's the fan" back down to the dealer (warranty) yep fan bad, on order should be done next Wed. Now you would think that the dealer would have a couple of these fans in stock, no that makes common sense. I told the service writer I wanted the old fan back so I can take it apart and see just what the problem is. Some have said it is caused by water and I've also heard about bushes sticking or some such thing. If they give me the fan back I will post what I've found when she gets inspected. I suspect cheap crap fan motor.

·
Super Moderator
4,132 Posts
I think the breather snorkel is too short and allows moisture to get up into the fan motor, the brushes then seize and as they wear down they can't slide forward to keep in touch with the stator, so the fan stops. The fix is to put a longer hose on your new fan or a little motorcycle fuel filter on the end of the breather tube to keep the moisture out. If you get the old fan back free it up and take it as a spare on long rides.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Cactus, That is what I've found out about the fan problems and plan to modify mine if and when I ever get my machine back, lol should be next Wed. I hope I get the old bad fan back so I can see actually what went wrong. Maybe I can make a suggestion to Yamaha about their problem, probably would not do any good but if we don't try.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Just happened to go by Power Sports today so I stopped in and talked to Rick the service writer and he said the fan is mine. So we will see just what the problem is with these pos fans.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Mine stopped today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Check the fuse and the relay, disconnect the fan and put 12 volt and grd to the fan plug. See if you can tap the back of the fan motor sometimes some say that will un-stick the brushes, if it has brushes.

·
Super Moderator
4,132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,132 Posts
Just happened to go by Power Sports today so I stopped in and talked to Rick the service writer and he said the fan is mine. So we will see just what the problem is with these pos fans.
Good they gave it to you, strip her down and lets see what happened!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Cactus, I don't have the fan yet, do hope to get my grubby hands on it when I pickup the Viking on Wed. When I stopped there yesterday they had not removed the fan yet.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Got my Viking back from the dealer with a new fan, took them long enough, working fine again. I also got the old noworkie fan and guess what? The fan motor itself cannot be taken apart, it is a sealed unit made my Tripac # 15-0012W I tried to internet that # and came up with motors for Honda's. Never did find this number on a motor. I believe the case is epoxy'ed together, today I will get that clam cracked open one way or another. I'll send a couple of pic's

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Okay, cracked the motor case open, it is glued together, and it was real ugly. Full of water and corded up, it has four brushes and one was hung up not even making contact. This pos motor is not repairable, if we could find this number motor Tripac # 15-0012W you would not have to replace the whole assy just the motor, I found some on the web not the exact number for around $60.
Yamaha fan.jpg
Fan..jpg

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
It was a good thing I took a good look at the buggy this morning to check out this new fan. The tech connected the hose for the radiator overflow tank to the vent on top of the fan and it goes to the recovery rad tank. There was nothing connected to the rad overflow nipple. Had to remove the fan and install a new vent tube and re-install the fan and route the tubing up into the electrical box and long enough to maybe not get full of water again. Installed the correct tube to the rad overflow nipple. This fan sounds a lot different than the original one, sounds like it is running a lot faster. Called up the shop that did the work and asked it they would mind if I billed them a hr of my shop time to correct their F'up. Rick the service writer stated that he let the tech know what he did, he also said that if I have to have it in the shop again they would make some adjustment, yeah right I can't wait for that to happen.
It is really sad that these shops can't get help that can do a simple job correctly. If it was not for the warranty I would have never taken it to the shop. I do all my own work that way I know it is done correctly, if a guy can read there isn't anything on one of these SxS that you cannot do yourself, providing you have the tools and tools I have lot of tools.

·
Super Moderator
4,132 Posts
Plenty of water in there, how did it get in do you think, washing? That tech needs a kick up the butt!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Good question on the water, how does that much get into the motor through this little tube. I have never washed it with the hood off, we've been through plenty of pretty deep water, I've have water plenty of water spray over the hood, the tube I installed to the fan is a lot longer and has a couple loops in it.
I would think that the vent should come out of the bottom of the motor and not the top, coming out of the top how is water supposed to get out of a completely seal unit?? Doesn't sound right to me, might be one reason these fans are always going out. I'm going to look to see if I can turn the motor over so the tube comes out the bottom and not the top.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I just sent a email to Tripac marketing to see what they say about the vent coming out the top of the motor case, we'll see what happens and if I will get some kind of answer from them, The motor is held on the plastic case with three screws, I'm going to see if I can rotate the motor so the vent tube is pointing down not up. More to follow stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts