Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a noobie to the SXS world however, I've owned ATV's for the past 20+ years. In a majority of them I ran Castrol Synthetic and Fram oil filters. As I was closing up the paper work today and the salesman was showing me the in's & out's of the machine, he mentioned to only use Yama lube? He said that convetional motor oil has a different detergent that will cause premature wear on the rings and valves:cool:.The only ATV I ever used OEM lubricate was in a Honda Rubicon 500 with the ESP and Auto tranny.

What do you use?

ps - I meant Yama Lube or syNthetic not sythetic

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Yamalube is pretty good stuff, i'll usei t for the Breakin service when i take it in for the first service at 20hrs, but after that, i'll probally change.

I run Royal Purple in my Engine, Gearbox, and Diffs on my CanAm Outlander 800. Runs great. I may use it in my Viking laters on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well , I too have past experience with a 2002 honda rubicon. My first oil change was Pennzoil. Well I started having transmission issues there shorty after. Turns out that the transmission and the engine shares the same oil. So what may be good for the engine may not also be good for the transmission. The viking is setup the same way, engine and transmission shares oil. I went back with yamalube only because of my past experience with honda.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yamalube would do the job. Its cheap and affordable and easily accessible compared to some other brands. And from what I heard about the synthetic oils is that they have some additives that make the oil too slick when heated up causing the tranny to slip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The most important thing to know is that most automotive oils have energy conserving additives (friction inhibiters) that are not good for any wet clutch type drive systems.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ive heard nothing but good stuff on the Yamalube stuff, used it alot in the past. We use there Fuel stabilizer in all our gas cans

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well , I too have past experience with a 2002 honda rubicon. My first oil change was Pennzoil. Well I started having transmission issues there shorty after. Turns out that the transmission and the engine shares the same oil. So what may be good for the engine may not also be good for the transmission. The viking is setup the same way, engine and transmission shares oil. I went back with yamalube only because of my past experience with honda.
This is what I was wondering.

Guess I'll stay with YL just for this reason.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I had my Grizzly I was using Yamalube full synthetic. It is used in snowmobiles and comes in a gold bottle. Some dealers put it away during the summer months and I'd have to ask for it. The price is comparable to most synthetic brands. I was looking for a decent priced full synthetic and my dealer recommended it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My grizzly ran too hot with full synthetic now I use semi-syn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts