Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading about other brands that are coming out with electric UTVs. I imagine that they are less capable than their gas powered cousins, but on the other hand you would never have to fill up on gas.

An example of this type of vehicle is the Ranger Avalanche which has 30 hp and plugs into a 110V AC outlet to charge. It starts at $12,499 CAN.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have seen something like this before, oh yea it's called a golf cart

Reactions: florida viking

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
i dunno, depend, i think the Polaris Ranger EV is a cool idea. If your just using it around the yard for yard work, or taking the kids around the Neighborhood, i think it would be nice.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think the first buyers of these could be local governments that need it for city maintenance to show support for the "green" movement.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Kinds reminds ya of a more capable bad boy buggy. Completely quiet for the hunters that wanna be super silent.
That is a good point being silent would save you a lot of settling time when waiting for the deer or elks in the area. An electric model might be best for hunting and im thinking torque from the electric motors.....

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Dirt Trax really like the Polaris Ranger EV

·
Registered
416 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but I believe the ranger will go 100 miles before needing charged. Im sure there is a market for them just not a huge one. Probably wouldn't be in yamaha best interest to market one right now. This Viking should really help them out on there dismal sales they have faced in the atv and utv markets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a Bad Boy Buggie. Cant tell you how many times it let me down @ play,hunting,just driveing around. That is why I bought the Viking. Real easy to throw a small tank of gas in just in case. Real hard to carry a 1000 ft. of drop cord!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
No thanks! Gasoline for me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'll stick with the conventional gas engine. I would hate to try and figure out how to repair the electricals when they fail down the road.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
Not trying to resurrect an old thread but ....along this line of thinking for electric vehicles I heard on the radio yesterday that GM is working towards having their entire line of vehicles being all electric by 2035.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Tesla CyberViking lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup, it would be foolish of me to say that I wouldn't. I just wouldn't be an early adopter. Once upon a time, I'm sure it was crazy to consider a wheeled machine for things that a horse was once used for.

A 30hp electric machine is likely more exciting (sound aside) than a 45hp gas-powered machine. A CVT transmission is going to lose some performance both in drivetrain efficiency loss as well as responsiveness. Torque is maximized down low on electric motors.

I don't think that battery technology is there for mainstream yet. I suspect after early adopters flush out the kinks and battery technology improves, we're all likely to want an electric side by side.

I know I'd appreciate having a quieter machine!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts