Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got ourselves in a bit of a pickle as you can see and after about 15-20 minutes we got out. I pulled the plug on the belt house inch because it was slipping like crazy and a ton of shlop came out. I’m about to take the belt housing off and get it cleaned out. What else do I need to do to get this thing running back to normal?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Yikes. First change the oil even if it not milky. Next open up the air filter housing and pull out the filter to see if it is wet. If so service the filter according to yamaha instructions. Water in there will mess you up. Then I'd pull the plastic sheave housing cover and look for mud. If it is bad you may want to pull the sheave and repack it with new grease. If not it is probably ok. While you are at it check the belt for too much wear. There is a spec in the service manual. If muddy then backwash the radiator to clean out the holes.

Sent from my SM-F707U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
487 Posts
Hopefully you didn’t suck any water into the motor. Change the oil and filter. Get the belt housing off and then pull the belt off then remove the primary sheave take the grease cover off and clean out everything you see in there especially the roller weights and their channels. Repack each roller with a top quality water resistant wheel bearing grease with about a spoonful of grease or Yamahalube cvt grease. You should also remove the secondary sheave and clean and grease it also. A good service manual will be very helpful to do all this. Their are also great YouTube videos showing how to service each section of the CVT belt drive.

Reactions: BennettHylton

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes. First change the oil even if it not milky. Next open up the air filter housing and pull out the filter to see if it is wet. If so service the filter according to yamaha instructions. Water in there will mess you up. Then I'd pull the plastic sheave housing cover and look for mud. If it is bad you may want to pull the sheave and repack it with new grease. If not it is probably ok. While you are at it check the belt for too much wear. There is a spec in the service manual. If muddy then backwash the radiator to clean out the holes.

Belt should be fine. Things only about a week old. I did want to open the belt housing up anyway and clean it out.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
487 Posts
And like Bad Monkey said air box and filter for sure because that was under water

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
BTW my money is on water in the air filter compartment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I do most of this stuff on my own or should I take it to the dealer? It’s only like 2 weeks old😂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The filter seems dry but there is a little bit off water and mud in the air compartment. Is this cause for concern?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
487 Posts
If you do some research with YouTube videos on doing the cvt maintenance you can decide for yourself if you want to tackle it or not. The airbox doesn’t look too bad but how much water and mud got past or thru the filter and into the air intake? That’s where you want to be concerned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you do some research with YouTube videos on doing the cvt maintenance you can decide for yourself if you want to tackle it or not. The airbox doesn’t look too bad but how much water and mud got past or thru the filter and into the air intake? That’s where you want to be concerned.
I just took the v belt cover off and the hoses connecting to it and the v belt it’s self are caked in dried mud

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
487 Posts
This video shows how to do it on a Grizzly but it’s the same procedure

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
487 Posts
How does your oil look? Did you shut off the motor as soon as the water got over the top of the seat?

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
The motor should be fine, everything's sealed and snorkelled apart from the air intake which was above water.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
If the oil is clear and air filter dry you should be ok. Definitely want to service the sheaves. It is not that hard if you have the right socket and an impact wench.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
487 Posts
Bennetthylton did you get this resolved?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts