Viking Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounted my 32 inch light bar today. I ended up using the PIAA mounts and mounted it in front of the front roll bar under the roof. Tried it out and really don't get any glare, but I don't have a windshield. It's a cheap Chinese one from Amazon with Epistar bulbs, but still HUGE improvement over anemic stock headlights.
I've got the EPS model and there's very little room under the hood, so I put a fusebox and common ground bar in the glove box with heavy wire to the battery. I'm using a relay for the light, and will probably mount a permanent switch on the flat panel by the glove box. Positive to relay is coming off the fuse box. Where is there a switched positive near that area that I can tie in to for the light switch? Is the cigarette lighter/accessory plug tied to the ignition or hot all the time?
Winch should get here tomorrow. Hope that goes faster than the light bar. The PIAA mounts were a PITA to one up and I stripped an allen head screw and had to make a trip to Tractor Supply. Picked up a metric bolt that would work, along with some terminals and a few other things. After waiting in line, I realized I had left my wallet at home. I scrounged up $1.40 in change from my truck to cover the packet of bolts and left the rest of the stuff with the cashier. Just not my day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Grab a flashlight and look up towards the center of the dash from the front passenger wheel well. There is a wiring harness that is not connected to anything. (I also have the EPS model so I assume this harness is found on at least these models). I used a test probe to determine that one of the 4 wires is a switched hot. I can't look at the moment to confirm the color but, if I recall correctly, it is brown with a white stripe. Easy enough to check though. This option is fairly close to the back of the glove box. Once I found the correct socket, I modified a spade connector to fit the socket, crimped it to the wire, pressed it into the socket, and waterproofed it with a dab of silicone.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Another option for your relay trigger wire is the accesory outlet wiring. Easy to find and you have a ground and a positive wire only.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics of the light bar. Got the winch mounted today, but haven't wired it yet. Had to make another trip to town .... Ordered a Warn 4000lb Vantage with Warn mounting plate. Took me about 30 minutes of struggling to figure out the the mount plate bolts wouldn't tighten down because the nuts they sent had different threads than the bolts. Another trip to Tractor Supply to get some grade 8 bolts and nuts that would work. I'm glad I don't do this stuff for a living. I'd have pulled my hair out by now.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Looks great!!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Makes daylight kind of a nuisance!

Looks good.

I have a 42" 240 watt 20 amp Cree LED on my Asuna Sunrunner(Geo Tracker) and it lights up almost a mile!. I think it might be a bit much for the Viking, I have a 800 amp battery in the Asuna.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the 32 is about perfect for the Viking. It's a lot brighter in person than it looks like in the pics.
Got the winch wired today. I put the contactor in the glove box. I put permanent switches for the light and winch as well as the port for the wired winch remote all on the flat panel next to the glove box. Didn't get them perfectly straight, but I thought it looked pretty good. Still have room for lots of switches, and since I now have a fuse box and ground strip in the glove box its easy to run wires to the switches.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Well done

1 - 11 of 11 Posts