Viking Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2014 yamaha viking
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 viking that I just got running thanks to help from this forum 馃榿. I took it out riding and when I would try to winch someone out it would drag the motor down bad. I had to rev it up some so it didn't die. That's fine because I figured it uses a lot of power to run the winch. Then I tried to put it in reverse and backup while winching to pull someone out. As soon as I did that it would almost die. I could only winch a load in neutral. Is this normal? It's a 4500 lb winch. I have a car battery in it that I had fully charged before the ride.

Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
No that鈥檚 not normal. I have a 4500 lb winch on mine and it doesn鈥檛 do that. And I use my winch a lot while snow plowing. My motor never changes idle speed when winching.

Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
No that鈥檚 not normal. I have a 4500 lb winch on mine and it doesn鈥檛 do that. And I use my winch a lot while snow plowing. My motor never changes idle speed when winching.

Registered
2014 yamaha viking
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think so. Especially in reverse it would start sputtering and try to die if I try to winch a load. Hopefully someone on here knows what could be causing this.

Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
Makes me wonder if your charging system is weak or the car battery is too much for the charging system/ alternator.

Reactions: cactus

Registered
2014 yamaha viking
Discussion Starter #6
The guy I got it from had a stock battery and it did the same thing. I just put the car battery in it because the other battery was bad from sitting up for a long time.

Registered
Sounds like the winch has a short and causing an excessive load (amp draw) on the battery. I'd look into either replacing or rebuilding the winch. Check the wiring and connections on the winch controller also.

Reactions: cactus

Registered
You鈥檙e in a delicate situation my friend. If my winch were weighing down my buggy, I would keep less food in the house and gift her a gym membership. You have to be tactful though.

Registered
2014 yamaha viking
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the winch has a short and causing an excessive load (amp draw) on the battery. I'd look into either replacing or rebuilding the winch. Check the wiring and connections on the winch controller also.
I have another #4500 winch I was going to put on my grizzly that I may switch out with the one on the viking to see if that helps. Hopefully I can get time tomorrow.

Registered
Switching winches is always an option!

Reactions: Constant3

Registered
I'd first disconnect the winch power + lead at the winch and try the remote to make sure it is not the winch relay or wiring. Then temporarily hook up the new winch to the old wiring and try it again. That way you are not pulling it all out unless you have to. You want to figure out the problem for sure before replacing it or even removing any bolts. I have had a winch relay go bad and do weird stuff.

Other things to check are the Battery connections and voltage under load with the quad running and with the key on but engine stopped.

Sent from my SM-F707U using Tapatalk

Registered
Definitely a short. Check the connections on the the winch and make sure that one of the two studs are not touching the frame

1 - 15 of 15 Posts