Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Viper Elite 5000 lbs wide spool winch with Moto Alliance supplied
winch mount plate. Once again everything from Moto Alliance was top notch. Even down to providing you with dielectric grease for the connections. My unit has Eps so the space in the electrical compartment is limited. For the ignition switch able power source I found the plug Yamaha intended for the radio. If you do the install I recommend you lift the hood out of the way so everything is exposed. I installed the dash switch to the left of the steering wheel, I made an additional rubber cover for the winch relay and installed the hand held remote controller in the glove box. The only issue I had with the install was the wide spool winch interferes with the Yamaha brush guard accessory. I modified the guard by trimming some material and forgoing one bolt. See the attached pictures. I hope they help anyone wanting to install there own winch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the post with some pics. Videos work even better for teaching people to install things.

Have you had the chance to try it out yet? How does it work?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was only able to try it out to re-spool the rope under tension. I can't wait to start putting in some miles with the unit. This winter has been brutally cold this year in Manitoba

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just installed my winch also I got the elite 4k and I put the receiver in the glovebox also but with the plug on the backside install was great I used the helmet light wire for my 12v source

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it was from your earlier post that I got the idea of the receiver in the glove box. I turned it around so I could see the status light when the remote is activitated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My current Rhino is a standard spool. I find you have to be deliberate to level wind it after you use it or it bunches up in the center. Moving to the wide spool not only gives you more cable length but allows for a wider area to rewind the rope into. With the Viking been a larger machine I wanted to step up to the biggest winch feasible

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Looks awesome! Thanks for posting and getting one of our VIPERS.

In terms of widespool winches.....we offer 65' of cable on ours -- longest in the industry. So that is a huge advantage.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just installed this exact winch on my viking, love everything about it. Everything I needed was included for the install. Would definitely recommend viper winches

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
They do look like top notch winches.

Reactions: nemz305

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took my Yamaha push guard back off before I mounted my LED lights and reshaped it to clear the wide body spool. Thought I would through a picture on here for others if they run into the same problem

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just got my Viper Max4500S in and have a few questions. How did you cut the hole for the flush mount dash rocker? You just spliced the red wire for the rocker to the helmet light? Is the hood removal tough or easy like the back fenders?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the rocker I drilled a hole first then used a square file to make it rectangular in shape. A little slower but I wanted to make sure it fit well. Yes the hood comes of very easy. The hardest part will be getting the screw in each side out that is partially blocked by your over fenders. I started out working around the hood then just removed. I didn't remove the roll cage I just slid the hood all the way to the top and held it there with some spring clamps. Once the hood was up I found an unused connector behind the dash that was switchable with the ignition. I believe this is for an accessory such as a radio. Some one else on the forum used the helmet light wire. This would work also. I didn't want to splice any wires. Any other questions let me know

·
Registered
107 Posts
For the rocker I drilled a hole first then used a square file to make it rectangular in shape. A little slower but I wanted to make sure it fit well. Yes the hood comes of very easy. The hardest part will be getting the screw in each side out that is partially blocked by your over fenders. I started out working around the hood then just removed. I didn't remove the roll cage I just slid the hood all the way to the top and held it there with some spring clamps. Once the hood was up I found an unused connector behind the dash that was switchable with the ignition. I believe this is for an accessory such as a radio. Some one else on the forum used the helmet light wire. This would work also. I didn't want to splice any wires. Any other questions let me know

Thanks! I will try to find that wire also.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I just got my Viper Max4500S in and have a few questions. How did you cut the hole for the flush mount dash rocker? You just spliced the red wire for the rocker to the helmet light? Is the hood removal tough or easy like the back fenders?

You could do this...and then you'll have plenty of switches left for future stuff. You could omit the logo and add more/less switches....do less switches and add a gauge or gauges to the same panel...no color or any color...what ever you want.
View attachment 5146

·
Registered
107 Posts
You could do this...and then you'll have plenty of switches left for future stuff. You could omit the logo and add more/less switches....do less switches and add a gauge or gauges to the same panel...no color or any color...what ever you want.
View attachment 5146
Wow that is nice!!

·
Registered
107 Posts

I got the hood off with no issues. It sure does make it easy! The winch and solonoid are mounted. I just need to connect all the wires tonight and put everything back together. My bedliner should be dry enough to put all my fenders back on. I put three coats of Herculiner and it came out really nice. I will post pics when its all complete. Next project is Hushpower!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts