Viking Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What winch seems to be the best bang for the buck. I know you pay for what you get, but I dont want to spend big money for a winch that I will rarely use. I want to get on just in case. A couple years ago I bought one of those cheap winches form Northern Tool and put in on my 07 Honda Rincon. Have only used it maybe 8 or 10 times, but no problems yet. What are you guys running?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I got mine from ebay. Comes with bracket and all the wiring etc. But the instructions show mounting the relay where your EPS module is if you got EPS. But no lie it's sealed unit and I have had it under water I say for 20 hours now. I do a lot of water riding. Now I will say the free spool sticks time to time but hey its in water a bunch lol. Never had to get down and dirty with it yet but I pulled some trees around and use it to tie down my unit to the trailer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats the brand name of it?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
What winch seems to be the best bang for the buck. I know you pay for what you get, but I dont want to spend big money for a winch that I will rarely use. I want to get on just in case. A couple years ago I bought one of those cheap winches form Northern Tool and put in on my 07 Honda Rincon. Have only used it maybe 8 or 10 times, but no problems yet. What are you guys running?
Viper Max 5000 Wide spool (from Moto Alliance) 65' feet of cable $330 free shipping and includes mounting bracket.
Viper Max 5000lb Wide Spool Winch Amp Mount for Yamaha Viking | eBay

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW!!! Mounting bracket comes with it. Thats a pretty good deal. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is yall's thoughts on the synthetic rope instead of the cable? It probably wont last as long as the cable.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I don't use mine that often, and synthetic will slowly degrade with time., so I went with steel cable. Having said that, I don't know just how long it takes synthetic to degrade? I do know I had a steel cable on one of my Grizzlies and it lasted 12 years plus. On occasion, while stuck in the rocks, I found I had to run the cable in a manner in which it might be touching a rock. This would be VERY bad for Synthetic. Having said that, Synthetic is MUCH safer in the event it breaks....but it is quite a bit more expensive too.

Pros and cons both ways....it depends more on what you need out of it.

FYI: A good rule of thumb for minimum winch poundage is 2.5 times your loaded vehicle weight. You can easily save some money and go with a lower poundage...you can always boost your pulling power with a pulley.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ordered it, thats a pretty good deal for 164 bucks. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I got my superwinch terra 45 on amazon for 212

·
Registered
298 Posts
For my 07 Grizzly I bought a 3000 lb. Gorilla winch with synthetic and a lifetime warranty. Price was about $280 shipped. Gorilla has since been bought out by Promark Offroad. Looking at getting one of their 4500 lb winches with synthetic for the Viking. Can't remember the price off the top of my head, but it was 300 and change with a limited lifetime warranty.

I have used the 3000 lb winch a lot. Pulling stuck ATV out with a trailer hooked behind it loaded down with firewood to pulling out my uncles very tiny International tractor. For the tractor I had to run a tow strap from the back of the Grizzly to a stump.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Motoalliance has a good deal on a limited edition with synthetic rope for like 170 on Amazon.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I purchased a Warn 4500 when I purchased my " V". Fast & Quiet!

Motoalliance has some good deals and will be the next one I buy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just put on my Viper Max 4,500 lbs synthetic rope. Paid $309 delivered from MotoAlliance. Only problem was the winch plate that comes from EMP , the holes for the bolts were not countersunk, I had to take plate to machine shop to have them countersunk or the bolts stuck out the top and the winch would not seat properly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts