Viking Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it might be interesting to hear what features weighed most heavily in everyone's decision.

We needed a UTV for about 80% trail riding and 20% hunting. We don't race around - so we didn't need a lot of horsepower - but we pull a lot of hills, so good low-end torque was essential.

Locking differentials, effective compression braking, and power-steering were also must-have options for getting into (and out of) mule deer country. This eliminated the Polaris Ranger from our consideration.

A large bed is essential for carrying deer or a dog & decoys. Easy entry wearing waders and waterfowl gear is also important. The split bed in the Can Am Commander isn't conducive to carrying large loads, so we ended up concentrating on the Kawi Teryx and the Viking.

The final factors that tipped the scales in favor of the Viking over the Teryx were the 3 seats, lower initial cost, and the overall quality of Yamaha products. Having the extra seat means I don't have to make one of my buddies ride in the bed with the dog. :D

Why did everyone else choose the Viking?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
One word... Yamaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sandbagger

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yamaha there reliability, and the third seat along with the bed size

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Always had Yamaha, never let me down, needed a big SXS in 2010, Rhino was to small, gave Polaris a try, it was a POS, soon as i heard about the Viking, i sold the Ranger, put my money down on a VIKING!!! Couldn't wait to get back in a Yamaha.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For me it was the Yamaha reliability combined with the ability to plow, haul stuff in the bed and be able to go trail riding with my wife and daughter in comfort. Also I like to have stuff that not everyone else has. My brother works at a dealer that sell mostly polaris rangers and he tried to sell me one but I like to research and make a purchase that fits my needs and not the dealers quota. Looked at the polaris, kawi, honda, and Viking. Couldn't be happier with my choice.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
For me it was the Yamaha reliability combined with the ability to plow, haul stuff in the bed and be able to go trail riding with my wife and daughter in comfort. Also I like to have stuff that not everyone else has. My brother works at a dealer that sell mostly polaris rangers and he tried to sell me one but I like to research and make a purchase that fits my needs and not the dealers quota. Looked at the polaris, kawi, honda, and Viking. Couldn't be happier with my choice.

X2!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I chose a sxs because i was tired of getting drenched in the rain and eating dust when it was dry. I chose yamaha because of the reliability and durability.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thought it might be interesting to hear what features weighed most heavily in everyone's decision.

We needed a UTV for about 80% trail riding and 20% hunting. We don't race around - so we didn't need a lot of horsepower - but we pull a lot of hills, so good low-end torque was essential.

Locking differentials, effective compression braking, and power-steering were also must-have options for getting into (and out of) mule deer country. This eliminated the Polaris Ranger from our consideration.

A large bed is essential for carrying deer or a dog & decoys. Easy entry wearing waders and waterfowl gear is also important. The split bed in the Can Am Commander isn't conducive to carrying large loads, so we ended up concentrating on the Kawi Teryx and the Viking.

The final factors that tipped the scales in favor of the Viking over the Teryx were the 3 seats, lower initial cost, and the overall quality of Yamaha products. Having the extra seat means I don't have to make one of my buddies ride in the bed with the dog. :D

Why did everyone else choose the Viking?
Pretty much everything that you use it for is what I use it for. Except I don't hunt. Just bought it to tour around on the trails with my 2 kids and my wife likes to drive the 700 Grizzly, so that is why I got it. I sold my Rhino for 2 reasons. One, because they don't make it anymore. I did not want an outdated model. 2nd it was only a 2 seater. I like the Viking. My buddies 2012 Ranger XP 800 is not near the quality or well thought out as far as the Viking. The only thing the Ranger has on it, is that it is quieter.

On another note, Polaris just bumped the hp on the 900 from 60hp - 68hp. My guess is because the Viking has cut into there sales and the Performance is close to the same as the 700 Viking as the 800 Ranger runs pretty much neck and neck until the very last bit on top end. But from 0-40mph, the Viking runs the same as the 800 and current 900, so I guess that is why Polaris is now trying to up the anti. Polaris needs to fix there quality issues and address the warranty claims issues. They don't cover alot and they deny alot of warranty claims.

·
Registered
344 Posts
reliability
ease of access to repairs
diff lock
shear size
yamaha
didnt have the need to go 70mph lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts