Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noticing in the deep snow that the wheel hop is terrible? its almost constant, I cant get the tires spinning at any decent speed without major wheel hop and then having to leave off,, It is definitely limiting what the machine/tire setup is actually capable of!.. It is very frustrating! These shocks are way to soft and not adjustable :mad:.. My brother is trying to talk me getting rid of her and getting a Ranger.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
There was a thred about it on here awhile back about the same issue in the snow.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya..i started that one too lol...its just buggin me at the moment with 2 feet of snow around here..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
must be a rare issue? Ive seen other people talking about riding in the snow, and seen videos, and nobody that ive seen has mentioned it have they?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I see quite a few Folks running in the snow, some with videos, with out issues. I know nothing about the tires you're running...but could that be an issue?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope, did it with the BH's as well

·
Registered
81 Posts
I haven't noticed any hop with mine. I've run thru some fairly deep snow. Not huge amounts, but here and there jus to see how it could perform. Personally, I noticed mine would rev high and spin the **** outta the tires. Wheel speed is never a problem. My older bro had a Ranger 900 XP, tricked out with the cab, heater, electric windows and other stuff. Its a nice ride, BUT, I have WAY MORE faith in the reliability of my Viking. I had a RZR S. I never abused the machine. It was prob the most babied RZR alive. Had a shock blow sitting in the shop over winter, bent axle, mysterious rad fluid leak, and another axle bout to go when I sold it. Personally, I will NEVER own another Polaris.

·
Registered
81 Posts
In my limited experience, and goin off traction issues with tractors, wheel hop is usually a tire PSI/weight issue. Easily fixed on tractors compared to SxS's. More weight/lower PSI can fix it. I dunno if any of this will help ya tho.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My rear tires already have like a nice belly in em right now... My bighorns now I ran them kinda hard and they still hopped... What do you suggest I try?? maybe lower air in the fronts??.... Again I know a Yamaha is way more reliable and less maintenance than a Polaris but this is really buggin me.,, Ive had it happen in mud as well, even on some steep hills too!

·
Registered
210 Posts
You were saying that the suspension is too soft. Could you try adjusting that? Its weird cause I haven't heard of too many people having these problems, and my first guess was the tires. Then I was thinking it was just the type of snow you were getting, but you said it happens in mud too.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the Viking shocks are not adjustable.... and them being to soft is just my guess... I mean soft suspension will allow the tire to instead of dig the ground, to jump up and down rapidly.. only stands to reason a harder suspension setting would probably solve this..

·
Registered
416 Posts
Oh I know what u mean my Viking will hop pretty good in deep snow. If it starts hoppin I just hammer it and it comes out of it pretty good. Better then goin slow through it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im at a loss man. Seems you have tried everything. Stiffening up the suspension would prob help when that option is available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ran mine last weekend in deep snow deeper than I though she would go through.Had to backup a few times and hit it hard but she got through very impressed.No wheel hop in diff lock.Only time I had any hop was going up a steep hill with a foot of snow down in 4x4.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I know what u mean my Viking will hop pretty good in deep snow. If it starts hoppin I just hammer it and it comes out of it pretty good. Better then goin slow through it.
hahah i have spun out of it a few times by floorin it...but its scary when the dam wheels are jumpin like that, but o well ill deal with it i guess

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
It has nothing to do with suspension or tire tread. This happens in any 4x4 whether it is a truck, suv or sxs what happens in the snow, especially heavy wet snow is the tires will actually start climbing the snow and than the weight of the vehicle will pack the snow and make a wheel hop. It's kind of hard to explain but there is nothing you can really do about it either. The good news is the snow will melt soon

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It has nothing to do with suspension or tire tread. This happens in any 4x4 whether it is a truck, suv or sxs what happens in the snow, especially heavy wet snow is the tires will actually start climbing the snow and than the weight of the vehicle will pack the snow and make a wheel hop. It's kind of hard to explain but there is nothing you can really do about it either. The good news is the snow will melt soon
.....all 4x4's do not do this, my brothers ranger xp,no matter how hard he pounds on it in deep snow it just keeps spinning, and the snow was fresh powder, just very, very deep....it will even do it in 2 wheel drive if im really spinnin em,,,,but yea there probably isnt a cure for this machine, except maybe a suspension swap.IMO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts