Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was ridin in the fresh snow today (about 8-9 inches worth) and noticed in high range when i would relly jump on the throttle in 4wd the thing wheel hops like crazy...even after i get moving if i floor it, its wheel hoppin again..kinda wish this thing had adjustable shocks....anybody else have anything like this in the snow?? Should mention im runnin the stock bighorns with STI rims

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@tmcelheny how deep is the snow where you're located?
Its about 7-8 inches..i just got out of it again and its almost impossible to floor it under about 25 mph in 4wd high...orr the wheels hop like crazy...now when its moving along good they dont hop..only when all 4 are wanting to spin..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
isn't the wheel hop also something to do with the engine mounts?
I dont think so.... I think its all in the suspension or the drivetrain design.... Its kind of a bummer when i try n really get in it in the snow it just wheel hops n shakes like crazy and i hafta get off it so i dont break somethin

·
Administrator
1,789 Posts
It has nothing to do with drive train design. It has to do with tire pressure, the type of snow, the ground condition under the snow, and things like that. It happens sometimes to all 4 wheel vehicles at times depending on the terrain condition.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has nothing to do with drive train design. It has to do with tire pressure, the type of snow, the ground condition under the snow, and things like that. It happens sometimes to all 4 wheel vehicles at times depending on the terrain condition.
I just got back from about an hour ride... Constantly wheel hoppin in the deep stuff....what do you recommend for tire pressure then? Less or more..thanks

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
520 Posts
usually hopping is due to something vibrating when it shouldnt be

if you are just hopping in one place then its not the terrain. could maybe be your tires?

any other viking owners take to the snow yet?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
usually hopping is due to something vibrating when it shouldnt be

if you are just hopping in one place then its not the terrain. could maybe be your tires?

any other viking owners take to the snow yet?

tell u what...if i get a chance this weekend i will try n get a video of it doing this...it does it everywhere in deep snow when all 4 tires want to spin...well gotta get back to my wife..shes in labor and just woke from her nap lol...

Reactions: gofishmt

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Resonance is something vibrating at its natural frequency. I'm leaning towards the motor mounts...
so u guys are saying u thing there is sumthin wrong with my motor mounts??..i just doubt that...it has 230 miles on it and they were gentle mile...i just think its how this machine and tire setup reacts to this amount of snow...but i will give the mounts a once over

·
Registered
20 Posts
Agree. I don't think it's a problem w the machine. Mine only did it when spinning, chewing and trying to get moving up a very steep hill in a foot of snow. All of my other travel in the same foot of snow was fine. This was also a very wet icy snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
There's not a problem in that your mounts are broken or worn out already. There may (?) be a problem in the design of the mounts (or some other part of the machine) that allows things to resonate while spinning the wheels in the snow. Run a general web search on wheel hop or tramp, great reading.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's the tire spinning in the snow There's not much you can do about it you can try adding some weight in the back, or you can try to lower the tire psi

1 - 20 of 23 Posts