Viking Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weekend ride report,
This was one of those trips where nothing went as planned.
First day’s plan, explore the local Fire lookouts. My brother and I were going to ride to the top of Verdi, then Babbitt Peaks. On top of each peak is an old Forest Service Fire Tower. The views are incredible.
Fist peak, was to Verdi outlook. This was halted about 2/3’s of the way up. Recent rains caused a large ponderosa to fall, and blocked the only access trail. (I might have been able ride around it, but decided against it. I’m a firm believer about treading lightly. )

Coming down the mountain, we decided to check out the local reservoir, Unbelievable how low it’s getting. Were here a couple of weeks ago. Must have dropped at least another 25 feet.

After cursing the lake bottom, we traveled up the valley to find Babbitt Peak fire outlook. Got lost Again! Damm, having trouble figuring out the Garmin, or interpreting the Topo map. So many unmarked trails in this region.

Lost again!

My Brother decided he wanted to be dropped off at home. He was having issues with his intercom earbuds. After 1 hour, they started to irritate his ears. Decided to take them off, and go without them. Without hearing protection of the earbuds, the Viking noise was too loud for him.

On the way back to dropping off my brother, we passed thru Sardine valley. There we stumble across a couple of the local residents.

With my brother gone, I decided to explore solo. My plans were to reconnoiter routes for a future trip. I’ve been searching maps, and local history. This area is rich in history, and many remote sites to see. Would like to link them in an off-road loop. My estimate is that it would be about 250 miles. In it, you would see the Comstock, old Lincoln highway, abandoned mines, Mountain views, and other areas rich in history. So far, I’ve up to about 40 miles.

Day two,
Decided to go on a 4-wheel trail that I’ve read about, Kings Canyon Trail. Starts at Carson City, travels up the remnants of the old Lincoln Highway to Spooner summit. Our plan was to continue onward from the top of Spooner Summit, and on to the Genoa Peak trail. Have traveled Genoa Peak couple of years ago on my snowmobile. The trail follow the along the top the Tahoe Ridge. The views of Lake Tahoe are incredible.
Staging area, Day 2, Kings Canyon Trail

Had to trailer to the staging area (hate it), immediately a steep climb out the Carson Valley. Soon were up in the Ponderosa trees.

A few of the more challenging areas,

Not a place for those afraid of hieghts, if you look carefully, you can see the trail cut into the side of the hill

looking out and down to the Carson Valley, Highway 50 below

Reaching the top of Spooner Pass, we were met by a parked Nevada Highway Patrol car. We were a bit reluctant to egress across highway 50 to the Genoa Peak staging area. We did it anyway after making sure the coast was clear.
Crossing over to the staging area, we found that the trail was now closed to mechanized travel. Another plan foiled. Turned around, sneaked across Highway 50, and made our way back down.
Coming down, one of the few tight spots

Coming down, You can't see in the photo, but the drop-off to the right of the trail is a sheer drop of 800 feet

After finishing, and loading the Viking, I realized I lost my truck/car/house and work Keys. Thank god of hidden spares. In the aftermath of replacing the keys, I found out that a Nissan Transponder key is over $200.

Tomorrow will travel this trail once again, now in search for my missing keys. Stay tuned, more reports coming.

·
Registered
47 Posts
great pictures, I hate you are having bad luck! but a bad day out on the trail is better than being at work any time! LOL! keep the pictures coming!

how have you enjoyed your Viking? what is your elevation?

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Great photos and what an awesome place to ride! You might have to start carrying a small chainsaw with you from now on!

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is some nice country you got!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments.
Today went back to the trail looking for my keys. Didnt find them, but found a stuck 4-runner. Took up almost 2 hours to free it. Was fun, got to use all my rescue tools. First impression, don't leave home without a Highjacker lift. Really amazing what can be achived.

Tried using the winch back out, no luck

Still stuck,

Finally the HighJacker

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Thanks for all the comments.
Today went back to the trail looking for my keys. Didnt find them, but found a stuck 4-runner. Took up almost 2 hours to free it. Was fun, got to use all my rescue tools. First impression, don't leave home without a Highjacker lift. Really amazing what can be achived.

Tried using the winch back out, no luck

Still stuck,

Finally the HighJacker

Lol maybe it's just me, but kinda looks like more guts then brains involved with the driver of that 4 runner on that trail

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Ah yeah, typical Toyota LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts