Viking Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
The belt is the first place you look when you have a belt powered machine. In a Viking they last A LONG ASS TIME compared to Can Ams, or RZRs because the belt is always engaged. It's the magic of the centrifugal clutch that engages the drivetrain into the primary pulley of the CVT.

What I want to know is what was the Dealership's Mechanic smoking when they said that the 'Viking sensed the over load and went into a protection mode to keep from damaging the drive train'. I'm very suspicious. I have done a complete rebuild on my CovidZombieKiller and never came across such an 'overload sensor'. Nor have I read anything in the owners manual about 'protection mode'. is there such a thing on the Vikings? Seriously?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
411 Posts
You should be able to clean those up and be fine.

Reactions: Shakes2582

·
Registered
85 Posts
when you get a new belt, buy a quality one. They'll set you back $40-$50 more than the competitors, but they're worth it. You have been down there now taking off all those panels, and covers, and cages. Do you really want to do it all over again?

Buy a good belt. And break cleaner will clean what Primary up real nice.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
411 Posts
I think the Yamaha OEM belt is about as good as they get. Makes me wonder if you have something else going on with your CVT, other than the fact it was 1000 miles over due for maintenance. But then again maybe that’s why

Reactions: PooShivers

·
Super Moderator
4,375 Posts
As above always use low, and I agree with Stingray about the dealer smoking some serious shit. The Viking sensed the overload and went into protection mode LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
The belt is the first place you look when you have a belt powered machine. In a Viking they last A LONG ASS TIME compared to Can Ams, or RZRs because the belt is always engaged. It's the magic of the centrifugal clutch that engages the drivetrain into the primary pulley of the CVT.

What I want to know is what was the Dealership's Mechanic smoking when they said that the 'Viking sensed the over load and went into a protection mode to keep from damaging the drive train'. I'm very suspicious. I have done a complete rebuild on my CovidZombieKiller and never came across such an 'overload sensor'. Nor have I read anything in the owners manual about 'protection mode'. is there such a thing on the Vikings? Seriously?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Overload? Protection Mode? Lol it’s a Yamaha, not a Tesla. Belt, belt, belt, belt and when looking at the belt clean up your clutches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also, never ever EVER drive the machine without the support cage installed. It will wear out the clutch in a hurry. It's crude, but the below sketch illustrates why you need it. Essentially, the cage isn't just a cage, it supports the clutch shaft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, these belts aren't supposed to die. Take a really good look at the primary. Make sure your weights aren't flat-spotted when changing out the Ultramatic grease. Inspect the fixed (inner) sheave for wear, and changes to the angle of the face should be addressed by replacing the part. They're cheap and really easy to change when you've got the primary apart to change the belt.

Took me 3 replacement belts to figure that one out.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts