Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week i used my Ground hog max to till a small plot that had never been tilled.
I installed the disk on my 2016 Yamaha Viking.
I set the disk to its shallowest setting and the diwsk did a good job.
When i went down a car wide path and turned around, and started forward, the disk dug in and the Viking would not pull it.

The viking would not go forward or backward in 2 or 4 wheel or Diff lock.
The engine just revved.
When my buddy pulled me a foot onto my chocks, i removed the disk.
Then as he pulled me i realized that the viking was working again.
The Viking Mechanics said that the Viking sensed the over load and went into a protection mode to keep from damaging the drive train and that sometimes just rocking the Vike will cause it to reengage.
Had i carried my 3500lb front/rear mount winch i could have winched myself up on the chocks to remove the disk, or just pulled it forward with no chocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had this same problem. Wont engage in gears. It will start. Just won't move. It's been sitting for an hour to cool down. Still nothing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
What were you doing when this happened? Anything like what was mentioned in the first post?

·
Registered
11 Posts
What were you doing when this happened? Anything like what was mentioned in the first post?
I was dragging my property with load attachment. Piece of fencing with some blocks to drag my ground, I've done this all the time. I think maybe today the dirt was a bit heavier than usually. Heavier load.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
I'm not sure I buy the mechanics answer either, any time I overload mine where it can't move the tires just start spinning. Does your viking roll freely frontwards and backwards? Any noises? Look for broken axles?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
I was dragging my property with load attachment. Piece of fencing with some blocks to drag my ground, I've done this all the time. I think maybe today the dirt was a bit heavier than usually. Heavier load.
That is nothing for these Vikings. They can do a lot more than that

Reactions: Ironhide.au

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rolls fine. Back and forth no problem. No axles broken. And no noise. It just won't engage in any gears. Starts up fine. Tried engaging in low, high. 2 and 4x4. Nothing works

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
Gear selector feel like it moves and engages normal?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
do the gear selector lights move properly with the gear selected?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
I think you need to start with the shift linkage and follow it back to make sure everything is right. Also jack it up and get all 4 wheels off the ground on jack stands then start rotating each wheel one at a time with it in Neutral, then H, then L then R to see if you discover anything abnormal. then start it up while still on the stands and put it in gear to see if there is any drive. You may have broke the CVT belt or the wet clutch. You may have to dig into that. Is your machine stock?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
that sounds like the drive belt. start there.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
No, just get that side cover off and you will see the belt and the 2 sheaves (pulleys) I recommend you look for youtube videos on how to service the CVT, that's how I learned, that and the help from others on these forums. Get the cover off and let us know what you find and any further questions.

Reactions: Ironhide.au

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will do thank you. Found a video. I'll work on it today and will report back when I inspect. I appreciate the quick replies and help.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
397 Posts
How many miles do you have on your Viking? The CVT should be serviced every 1500 miles and the belt should last 10 plus years if cVT is serviced properly and on maintenance schedule. Since the belt is destroyed and you have it apart now is the time to clean out the old grease, clean everything and re-grease it. Primary and Secondary sheaves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts