Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daughter borrowed Viking Saturday with moms permission but not dads! Yeah help me here. She goes to the park when she goes to leave it will not crank I hear a clicking sound near the battery but not the battery. Tried to jump it off no luck. Load it on trailer bring it home but jump box battery is charged. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Daughter borrowed Viking Saturday with moms permission but not dads! Yeah help me here. She goes to the park when she goes to leave it will not crank I hear a clicking sound near the battery but not the battery. Tried to jump it off no luck. Load it on trailer bring it home but jump box battery is charged. Any advice?

Could be a bad battery, faulty or loosely connected wires, problems with starter...

Check for corrosion on the battery terminals?

Get a Voltmeter and test Voltage. 12.5 or higher is ideal.

If terminals and voltage check-out fine, maybe battery is not holding a charge? Can get a battery tester pretty cheaply at Harbor freight.

That’s where I would start.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you don’t have any of the test equipment you can pull the battery out and take it to a auto parts store and have them test it, they can even test it for cold cranking amps & if there are any bad cells.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was a ticking in the starter relay Assy so I took it off went got a new one that was not the problem. The battery says it is charged all lights come on and are bright. So looks like I will have to take it to the shop:(

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Try this,
What is your voltage reading on the Multi function display with the key on, and what is the voltage with the key held to start.
Try it using a fully charged car battery, if that doesn't work then,
Jump the relay under the hood.
Check the earth lead is bolted up tight, it is the one that is attached to the engine next to the starter.
Try tapping the starter while someone is holding the key on "start".
See if you can "cross" the starter or get a jump lead straight onto the starter motor terminal directly from a vehicle battery on the ground, with a lead from the negative side of the battery straight to any bolt on the engine.

What do you guys call the red and black leads that you use to hook one vehicle to another to jump start a flat battery?

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Cactus we call them jumper cables. You probably call them something like bloody bollixed battery under bonnet electrical transmission leads.

Sent from my SM-F707U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ultratec and cactus

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
:LOL:

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Cactus we call them jumper cables. You probably call them something like bloody bollixed battery under bonnet electrical transmission leads.
Well actually if my wife's being difficult I tell her they are called nipple clamps, but otherwise we call them jumper cables too. Probably 'Roo boosters would be a good marketing name!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I had a problem once with the Viking not cranking, I don’t know if this helps your situation but my key was bad. Had corrosion under the boot, would work if I gently turned the key but would not crank if I turned the key hard. Cheers
Also check your first 2 red 10amp fuses on the left side of the fuse box just in case it’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts