Viking Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
two issues.
1. Bought a Used Viking VI that had a LED Light Bar that when bad after issue with a mouse chewing wires. LED Light bar had White and Black wire - Can seem to find brand of light bar but found issue is white wire must have been chewed. Instead of taking the whole front in apart, easier to run two new wires to a relay switch. Note: I have a switch on dashboard that controls LED - light bar lights and the rear led lights that were added on by previous owner.

My Question: The fuse that was feeding the relay switch was a 10 amp and it would burn out the fuse quickly. As I mentioned I ran new wires. I replaced the 10amp with a 15amp and it is not burning out the fuse. Relay switch says 20amp. Am I OK on this?

2. Bought a blue tooth RF lighted 5ft pair LED buggy whips from Amazon Amazon.com: ZGAUTO 5FT 360 ° Spiraling Rising LED Whip Light with Music Mode &Turn Signal & Braking Function for Offroad Jeep Polaris RZR UTV ATV Sand Dune Buggy Quad Truck Boat(1 pair, Remote Control & Bluetooth: Automotive I made some special brackets from parts at tractor supply. There are 5 wires (power, ground, brake, (left and right signal - not to be used)) to connect and look for easiest method. Thinking I would like these to come on with my Yamaha light switch and I'm thinking all the wiring is at the back of the vehicle already and just need to tie it in existing lights at back of vehicle vs running wire all the way to the front - which may be hard with the existing skid plate? At the back of vehicle it looks like there may be a trailer plug (two pole type and think this probably is to hookup additional accessories).

Adjustable brackets I made to attach to buggy. I will eventually paint black when everything is working.

Buggy Whip RF and Blue Tooth controller. Mounting it up high for better reception between rear seats.

Right side rear brake light wiring - I was hoping to tie buggy whip lighting hear but not quite sure if I can do that or how I should connect wiring.

This is a plug under the bed at rear of vehicle. Thinking I can tie buggy whip to it? Looks like a power and ground connection unless you know different?
20201007_075657.jpg

Question - Is it possible to tie the buggy whip wiring to existing wiring in back of vehicle? How would you recommend doing this?

I'm also looking to add led rock lights eventually that would be compatible with existing buggy led whip working off same controller - I have a question out to manf. If you have suggestions/recommendations on this let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
1. Fuse should be OK
2. It has honestly been a while but I am 99% sure that plug may be for backup lights. I would just run new wires myself and depending upon the amount of current draw either run through a switch directly or use a relay (if more than a few amps). It is not as hard as you think to run extra wires to the back. You can pull the middle seat bottom and lid from the air filter housing which will give you good access. You may want to run an extra set of wires while you are at it so you have it done for any kind of future expansion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Fuse should be OK
2. It has honestly been a while but I think that plug may be for backup lights. I would just run new wires myself and depending upon the amount of current draw either run through a switch directly or use a relay. It is not as hard as you think to run extra wires to the back. You can pull the middle seat bottom which will give you good access.
Thanks for the info especially regarding the middle seat. Was worried I was going to have troubles running the wire from front to back with the skid plate but was able to get the wire there. In fact I'm going to run some extra wire incase I need it for led rocks lights or something else in future.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Make sure you wiretie them along the route so they don't end up in the front drive shaft. I actually ran a flexible conduit from front to back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a fish tape that I fed from rear between top of skid plate and frame above it (hard to see) but plan on tying down so wire not bouncing around and will reanalyze drive shafts to stay away. Right now fish tape kind of down the middle. Is seemed I was hitting blockage when I tried feeding from rear right side down along the right?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
It has been too long since I ran my wires, but I recall that taking pictures fore and aft from the center seat gave me good views.

Here is the conduit:

What did you do with your Viking today?

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
My Question: The fuse that was feeding the relay switch was a 10 amp and it would burn out the fuse quickly. As I mentioned I ran new wires. I replaced the 10amp with a 15amp and it is not burning out the fuse. Relay switch says 20amp. Am I OK on this?

At the back of vehicle it looks like there may be a trailer plug (two pole type and think this probably is to hookup additional accessories).

This is a plug under the bed at rear of vehicle. Thinking I can tie buggy whip to it? Looks like a power and ground connection unless you know different?
View attachment 50723
As said the fuse will be fine unless you want to run 20 amps through the relay, which you probably won't. Ideally you should find out the draw of your light bar and size the fuse to suit.

As Badmonkey said that plug is for the Yamaha LED tail lights, the plug is for the reverse lights so only powers up when you select reverse. You also can use it to power a small LED light bar as a reverse floodlight if you want to, but you need to add a relay under the front passenger wheel well. The reverse lights are a switched negative so you have to be careful to not ground the light bar when mounting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts