2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He mentions in the video to drain the oil before doing this procedure. I’m getting ready to check my valves, is that really necessary? I just did a oil change a few days ago so if that is something that you have to do I will be waiting until next oil change. (Don’t recall seeing it in the service manual)

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
297 Posts
You do not need to drain the oil. His main point was that you need to do it on a cold (leave it sit overnight) engine and a good time to do it is when you do an oil change. I need to check my valves, grease suspension, driveshaft, etc soon too.

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks. I was wondering if removing the crank cover to turn things to line up for TDC was the reason if oil would be lost from there.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I adjusted my valves today. The hardest part was trying to find TDC. A big huge Thank You to MNDirtRider for getting me on the right track with that. I kept thinking I wasn’t at TDC on the compression stroke because I couldn’t get a min feeler gauge in so I thought I was doing something wrong since I couldn’t believe my valves could be that far out of adjustment when it’s been running and starting great. As it turned out they were not that far off, on the tight side yes, but once I loosened the nuts I discovered it was minimal.
Also MNDirtRider is a genius, he told me his trick to holding the square adjustment peg was with a square bit type wood screw, screwed into the end of a dowel. Much much easier than trying to hold it with a crescent wrench like in the above video.
Here’s a picture of the one I made…
Hand Gesture Plant Grass Wood

1 - 6 of 6 Posts