Viking Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts
WOW, it was definitely the camera angle...that photo is much better. Looks like your axle is MUCH further forward than I thought. I can see why you load it that way now.

This how i transport mine! Heading to the mud bogs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old school car hauler gets it done for me.

Do you transport the Viking with the front and back window on like in the picture?

Yeah I drove just over 200 miles like that yesterday. Kid pulled up close behind me at 65mph to look and said the back window doesn't even flutter. When towing without the camper the other day I could see the windshield and I looked fine also.

This is what I use, ordered this 3500 dodge ram SRW pu new from the factory in "06", has the 5.9 cummins turbo diesel with 6 speed manual tranny, installed the jake brake on it, currently have 376000 + miles on it, and still haven't worn out the original brakes on it yet, had to special order the rims on it so I could run the 19.5 sized commercial truck tires on it.

Attachments

This is what I use, ordered this 3500 dodge ram SRW pu new from the factory in "06", has the 5.9 cummins turbo diesel with 6 speed manual tranny, installed the jake brake on it, currently have 376000 + miles on it, and still haven't worn out the original brakes on it yet, had to special order the rims on it so I could run the 19.5 sized commercial truck tires on it.
I noticed you used your winch cable as your front tie down. Do you find that this stays tight...or do you need to cinch it up once in a while? Any harm to the winch breaking system? Anyone else do this?

around here (sw pa) we do it all the time. quads and sxs. i brought my sxs home from the dealer the same way. none of us have ever had any problems with our winches

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I noticed you used your winch cable as your front tie down. Do you find that this stays tight...or do you need to cinch it up once in a while? Any harm to the winch breaking system? Anyone else do this?
I've used the winch line as a backup to my backup for tying the front end (ie two different 5K lb ratchet straps have to fail first).

I would not use it for a primary personally. While the stated (static) capacity of the winch certainly exceeds the gross vehicle weight, I'm pretty sure the dynamic capacity of both the winch and the winch line are far less.

No I have never had a problem using it this way, after I load it I attach the two rear tie downs from side to side and pulling to the rear, I don't get them real tight just nice and snug, then hook the winch up to the D ring I mounted at the front of the trl. hitch, when I winch it in I don't get carried away with it, just enough that it will pull the nose of the viking forward a little bit and will pull nose down about 2 inches, which will tighten up the rear straps nice and tight. Have done it this way for years over all kinds of terrain, and have never had a problem, loading this way my 4 wheelers have never moved an inch, and no straps have ever come loose and needed retightened.

Attachments

Thanks for the response! I can see how it would be quick and easy...and I have a 5000lb winch, so it would be plenty strong. I guess I was most concerned about the bouncing and stuff.

We wanted a compact trailer with good ground clearance for dragging up and around mountain trails. Also needed it to fit on our small back patio. A ten foot Echo fits the bill perfectly. Seems to be very well built, and tows beautifully.

How long is the tongue on that trailer Bug Doc? It looks like its right close to the bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here's a better view. It handles just fine.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Nive set up Bug Doc.

Most of us have purchased hitches, either straight or with different drops, that slide into the receiver on our tow vehicle. However, some Folks may be unaware the 99% of those slide in hitches have a maximum tongue load rating of 500lbs.
I run a Curt receiver hitch rated at 16,000 trailer weight and 2,400 tongue weight along with a Trimax 12" drop stainless adjustable hitch stinger rated at 10,000 trailer weight and 1,500 tongue. There are options out there or much higher capacity than the standard stingers.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.