Viking Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

My Viking is struggling with acceleration.

Gets to about 25mph but then feels sluggish and if I put my foot to the floor the engine misses.

It accelerates fine with no splutters in low gear, but struggling in the high box.

Could this be a problem with the clutch.

When I am going down hill without the accelerator pressed there is a sort of grinding sound also.

Thinking something wrong in the drive train or clutch.

All suggestions greatly received.

Cheers

Kenny
Scotland

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
715 Posts
Definitely sounds like you need to inspect the clutch and service it. Has it ever been serviced? How many miles on it? What year is it?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Hi there

My Viking is struggling with acceleration.

Gets to about 25mph but then feels sluggish and if I put my foot to the floor the engine misses.

It accelerates fine with no splutters in low gear, but struggling in the high box.

Could this be a problem with the clutch.

When I am going down hill without the accelerator pressed there is a sort of grinding sound also.

Thinking something wrong in the drive train or clutch.

All suggestions greatly received.

Cheers

Kenny
Scotland
Kenny: More info may help but it sounds like you are hitting the rev limiter at 25MPH which is very low.

How does it behave in Low and at what speed does it start to miss?
What year is the Viking and how long have you had it?
When did this problem start and what led up to it? (Did you drive through a river or mud pit? Did you work on the sheaves or clutch or anything else?)
I am guessing the "grinding" is just the engine braking unless you are familiar with it and it has changed.

If it is not the rev limiter I am wondering if you have water in the air box.

Reactions: buckg2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's done around 9000 miles, had it for 4 years and had a new engine and then the head skimmed after over heating issues.

Gets serviced every year but don't think they will have been near the clutch, just fluids and filters probably.

I replaced the air filter but that hasn't made a massive difference, and changed the rear diff oil which was black but by no means bad enough to cause any issues.

Wondering if it's an air intake issue. When I take the cover off the front that covers the battery and electrics it seems to go better, would a lack of air cause it to splutter. Is the air intake under that cover.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
pull to two plastic screw-pins and remove the part that turns down. Then clean it out to the airbox. Maybe there is a mouse nest or something in there.

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
715 Posts
Yup from under the hood it runs down behind the dash under the floor and up to the airbox.

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Any codes on the display?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Lol. I think after 9000 miles, it's time to service the clutch and secondary.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
715 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I suppose there could be some sticky weights or something. Maybe the belt is worn way past spec and it is revving too high so it is hitting the limiter?

Also, I took my own advice and removed the air intake cover under the hood and removed and cleaned the air filter. I then stuck a running shop vac into the air intake from the airbox side. I fed a plastic trash bag in from under the hood until it got sucked all the way into the shop vac. That pushed A LOT of stuff that mice had carried in there through the tube and into the shop vac.

When I go down to check the mail later I will see if it made a difference at full throttle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts