Viking Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked over the manaul 3x and I cant find the **** coolant drain.

I just put in a new stock rad after putting a hole through my first one. The swap was **** simple but I wasn't able to drain my coolant. Not to worried about it as its a brand new machine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We'll being its 100* here pretty much each day I switched over to engine ice. Located a drain bolt on the bottom of the water pump. However take the extra 5 min and just pull the radiator out so you get all the fluid out of it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's helped drastically here lately with the rain we recently got here in west tx, the first decent amount all year the family has found the pleasure in playing in the mud (pictures to come soon) it's helped when the radiator gets a little clogged up

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here ya go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Need the next page too I think GNXguy, that's just how to drain the coolant bottle. Interestingly it says that you can use straight water in the cooling system? What about corrosion of the aluminum in the head etc? That's a big no-no with alloy engine cars here.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It does say to use distilled not just regular tap water, however there is always that slight chance of harmful elements still present thus why the need of an additive like water wetter or your traditional coolant

·
Registered
170 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
It does say to use distilled not just regular tap water, however there is always that slight chance of harmful elements still present thus why the need of an additive like water wetter or your traditional coolant
Yeah sure but there's no way I would run straight water in an alloy motor, you definitely have to have rust inhibitor added. You don't necessarily need anti freeze but you must corrosion protection. Maybe they are saying that straight water is ok as in to get you out of trouble?

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Looks like the coolant drain at the bottom of the water pump drains the radiator too?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It does but not all of it to get all the fluid out of the radiator you need to take it out. It's very simple thorn the wheel fully to the left. Remove the four bolts holding on the fan shroud, remove the two bolts on the radiator bracket, remove hoses and presto bring it out the drivers side

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
It does but not all of it to get all the fluid out of the radiator you need to take it out. It's very simple thorn the wheel fully to the left. Remove the four bolts holding on the fan shroud, remove the two bolts on the radiator bracket, remove hoses and presto bring it out the drivers side
I see, the flow goes ACROSS the radiator, not from top to bottom like normal. I wonder why Yamaha did that?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I ended up just taking out the entire rad and replaced it. I used water wetter though. 0 problems overheating now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is engine ice? I am new to the Yamaha Viking. Checked the radiator recently, only rated for zero. Need to figure out how to drain the radiator. Thanks

Found a 2014 Viking decked out with only 628 miles on it, really like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts