Viking Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next UTV will be just for fun. No work, just fun. When I test drove one at the dealer, I couldn't believe how much noise and vibration was in the cab. The grab bar was difficult for my 3 year old to hang onto while we weren't moving. Add helmets to the mix and I worry we won't be able to communicate.

Does the Viking's vibration lessen as they get some hours/miles on them?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Once you hit the gas the vibration smooths out a lot. The noise is still there but there's a lot of great ideas on this forum on how to quiet the vikings down. I bought my viking for its capabilities to work and play. If I was buying for just play I may have looked at some other SxS that is strickly play like Can am, Wildcat or rzr.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I still feel it, but its not near as bad as when it was new, but like said above, once you hit the gas, it goes away.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
My next UTV will be just for fun. No work, just fun. When I test drove one at the dealer, I couldn't believe how much noise and vibration was in the cab. The grab bar was difficult for my 3 year old to hang onto while we weren't moving. Add helmets to the mix and I worry we won't be able to communicate.

Does the Viking's vibration lessen as they get some hours/miles on them?
I was very skeptical about this as well when I was first looking. Several Folks on here indicated that once you put some hours on it, the vibration would diminish. They were correct!

As far as noise goes...there is a great fix for this. You can also see how little vibration there is at idle now. (check out the link below...almost no vibration when my daughter gets in with the camera)
http://www.vikingforum.org/forum/yamaha-viking-how-diy-section/4746-quiet-viking-video.html

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Mine has five hours on it now and as the others have said the vibration at idle has definitely diminished. It is still loud when riding and always will be, and it still has that howl when you back off and the engine brakes. Maybe that might lesson as time goes by?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Either mine vibrates less, or I've gotten used to it. I just don't notice it as much any more...

·
Administrator
1,800 Posts
Mine is definitely less, it never bothered me to begin with. I also like all the 'noise' the machine makes, and wouldnt change a thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I guess when starting the Kawi and then the Viking that twin in the kawi is just so quiet compared to the Viking.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The V-Twins are so nice, I've got a 2011 Can-am Outlander that has the Rotax V-twin 800, i love it, Sounds so good, so smooth, wish i had it in the Viking too, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I think it gets better, then again, maybe i am used to it...Same goes n the Loudness, it used to really bug me, but it doesn't anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the vibration goes away...it did for me.

my .02 on sound/noise...if you want a quiet sxs, buy a battery only unit. EVERY sxs makes noise. My ranger is just as loud as the Viking. I use mine for work/play/hunt.

If I wanted a PURE hunting sxs, I would have got an electric/battery.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree... The one I test drove, I did not find it any louder then my Rhino. But yes, the Rhino was louder then the Polaris Ranger or RZR for that matter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think motor noise can really play a huge roll if you buy a cab for a side by side. I've had 700, 800 and now a 900 ranger and they didn't seem loud until you put a top, windshield and back panel on them. add doors and it compounds the problem. the 900 ranger is significantly quieter than the older rangers. with the rear engine placement and muffler makes for a much quieter ride.....plus its a twin cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts