Viking Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this article about how to quiet down a Rhino. It's a pretty good read...and a bunch of this is applicable to the Viking. Just need to be patient, as I'm sure someone is working on this stuff.

Yamaha Rhino Noise Control

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
A lot of great ideas

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke with a rep at "Silent Rider" about the "Benz" exhaust and they brought up a very good point. Although they do have an exhaust for the Viking, it's not on their web site yet. (she promised to send photos).

Here's the interesting part: She said their systems WILL reduce "exhaust noise" between 6-10 db. The important word here is "exhaust." She went on to explain that some people are not satisfied because they install the muffler and their machine is not quiet. What she stressed was that the device absolutely quiets the exhaust...so there is less noise for the people and critters out in the forest. However, it does nothing to quiet the machine/motor/trans itself. So, the driver/passengers may here very little difference because sooooo much of the noise you here in the cab is NOT exhaust. I can't remember who it was, but I saw someone on here that tried (and was not happy with) the Kolpin exhaust....this may apply?

I'm thinking that more will be gained by using sound deadening stuff in and around the cab. Same as I mentioned with the towels behind the seat. Take a look at all the places around the cab that can let all that engine drivetrain noise in. If you just look down where the seatbelts attach, you can see the engine/trans. Pop up the seats and take a look...there is VERY little between you and all that stuff. There is NO sound proofing or absorbing material anywhere! That thin plastic and the sheet metal bed is not going to do anything...it may even enhance the noise.

In short, she is saying there system WILL make the machine much quieter...but it might do very little for the noise in the cab :(

M-N-T

PS: I will forward the photos on when I get them.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I talked to a guy on eBay that was selling his real nice Camo Viking, and asked why he was selling it, he said it was to LOUD. He even had a Kolphin stealth exhaust on it, he said it made a difference at idle, but when driving around, it did nothing, it was still loud, so like you said, its gonna take more than just a stealth exhaust.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I talked to a guy on eBay that was selling his real nice Camo Viking, and asked why he was selling it, he said it was to LOUD. He even had a Kolphin stealth exhaust on it, he said it made a difference at idle, but when driving around, it did nothing, it was still loud, so like you said, its gonna take more than just a stealth exhaust.
Situations like that make me a bit concerned, being too loud to make someone sell it is a big move. Maybe some people are just sensitive to that sound and can't handle it as well as others.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Would adding sound insulation around the engine and transmission help? They have those mats that stick onto the frame that can isolate noise. Useless or useful? it probably adds some weight though.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would adding sound insulation around the engine and transmission help? They have those mats that stick onto the frame that can isolate noise. Useless or useful? it probably adds some weight though.

From what I'm gathering, this would do more to quiet them down than anything. Gotta find a good way to insulate the cab from the engine/drive train. My friend had an old Ford diesel, with the 7.3 in it...and it was LOUD standing outside...but not near as bad inside. If they can quiet the cab of a truck with that in it...we should be able to do something with the Viking!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you know if those Dynamat sheets are waterproof or will absorb moisture? Thinking about trying them but concerned about rust. Have to rinse off the mud SOMETIME and know the stuff will get wet then. E-mailed the company but no response so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re Dynamat 'Extreme', the shiny stuff is aluminum. No rust worries. I would say it's water resistant, not wateroof. Heavy.

You may want to look at their Dynaliner. Fully waterproof. Lighter.
Dynaliner

I've used both in cars I've owned/built.

IMHO, I don't think either will reduce the engine noise much. It's a single cylinder engine in an open cockpit.

Hope I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re Dynamat 'Extreme', the shiny stuff is aluminum. No rust worries. I would say it's water resistant, not wateroof. Heavy.

You may want to look at their Dynaliner. Fully waterproof. Lighter.
Dynaliner

I've used both in cars I've owned/built.

IMHO, I don't think either will reduce the engine noise much. It's a single cylinder engine in an open cockpit.

Hope I'm wrong.
Spent quite a bit of time messing with this stuff this weekend. My conclusion...If you want to quiet the cab down, here are my suggestions.

#1. Yamaha bed mat helps a little. The OEM mat is VERY thick and all that sheet metal seems to resonate noise. Ya need something to protect the bed anyways!

#2. Spray on bed liner. I already have the mat in mine, but I'm going to add the spray on liner as well. NOTE: When you're sitting in the cab, just tap your knuckles against the front of the bed...TWANG! For this reason, along with the inside of the bed, I'm going to have the front (outside) of the box done as well.

#3. Back window. Haven't received mine yet...but I'm assuming it will help?

Those are the easy ones. Next, and here is what I believe to be the most important. As I posted earlier, I shoved a bunch of towels in every opening between the back of the seats and the cab. This weekend I went one step further and cut up a pool floaty for between the bed and the seats....AND added towels/rags everywhere that noise might come in. There are SOOO many areas that are completely open to the engine compartment...and have no noise barrier what so ever. For instance, pop the drivers seat off and you'll see that you are sitting on a big void that is open to the rear. The seat belt mounts between the seats. I could go on, but you get the point. My wife looked at and thought I was nuts :eek: until we went for a short ride! You could absolutely notice the difference.

In short...IMO most of what we are hearing in the cab has very little to do with exhaust. I believe we need to find a way to better insulate the cab from the engine/trans area. Some of you may remember Folks were using insulated type covers for the Rhino for the same reasons. Once we can find a way to just fill the voids, then I think it would be a good idea to look at some of the insulating liners.

If it didn't look so stupid...we could call this the "Pool floaty mod!" :)

M-N-T

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
yeah, that hole under the Drivers seat is for the under seat storage box or the Subwoofer for the stereo system. You make alot of good points there, i got the Reear Window from my dealer for less than 100 bucks, think it was 89 i hink. Seemed to help a little, but not alot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There is enough room behind the seats and, between the roll bar and front of dump bed. I am working on a fix with a panel going across the rear of the roll bar and between the bed. Then filling the voids between seats and rear panel with foam board. If I had a big enough set I would put in the panel and then "spray foam" the area behind the seats. Not sure I can bring myself to do it though. LOL

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just ordered some of that Dynaliner. My question here is, would it be best to try to line the space under the seat area, or trim and fit the stuff to apply it directly to the clutch cover itself? I have memory foam crudely stuffed in between my bed and cab area. With that sealed off, the only noise I seem to hear would be comin from the clutch area itself. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMO, ya need to do anything you can to isolate/insulate the cab from the engine compartment. This is all easier said than done...at least while trying to keep it looking clean.

I'm glad you tried the stuff behind the seats...it made quite a difference didn't it! I actually think that, sooner or later, someone is going to come up with something that REALLY quiets these thing down.

Please report your findings when you get the Dynaliner. Would love to know how heavy it is...how easy it is to apply...waterproof or water resistant...how it handle heat...how well it works....Photos too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts