Viking Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’ve been thinking about buying a Viking and I’m curious about how it rides and handles for general trail riding. Most of my riding will be done on trails in northern NH and Maine. Is the stock suspension fine for average trails or is it too stiff for a comfortable ride?. I’m mainly interested in the Viking for the 3 seats and want a reliable machine that’s comfortable and won’t leave me stranded.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I would say you couldn't go wrong with a Viking, on my 2018 I've added a 2" lift kit and 28x10x14 tires and wheels, it now has the clearance and traction to go anywhere you have the guts to take it. The trails we ride down here in Az are almost all rock and sand, have lots of sand in the dry washes and no end to the rocks anywhere else. The group we run with all have difference side by sides from Can Am's, Polaris, Honda's and my Viking will go anywhere any of them can. I've had almost going straight up climbing over rocks, also had it in over three feet of water in the river.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would say you couldn't go wrong with a Viking, on my 2018 I've added a 2" lift kit and 28x10x14 tires and wheels, it now has the clearance and traction to go anywhere you have the guts to take it. The trails we ride down here in Az are almost all rock and sand, have lots of sand in the dry washes and no end to the rocks anywhere else. The group we run with all have difference side by sides from Can Am's, Polaris, Honda's and my Viking will go anywhere any of them can. I've had almost going straight up climbing over rocks, also had it in over three feet of water in the river.
Hi, I too have been shopping for a new Viking. I have property with a river running thru it and have not been able to find anyone that can tell me if the Viking or any SxS can cross a river that has current as well as a atv 4wheeler? I currently have a Kodiak 700 and a Honda foreman that I cross the river in all the time. I would like To sell them and buy a Viking but even though it is heavier it will catch a lot more water and I’m concerned it may get washed downstream. AZ trail it sounds like you have actually had yours in some rivers, how strong were the currents? How much river current do you think they can handle? My river is only knee deep in the summer but spring & fall it can get much deeper. I have had the quads in it when it’s almost up to the seat and would get pushed downstream some as I crossed and this was borderline safe. Any thoughts? Will the Viking do as well or not?

·
Super Moderator
4,132 Posts
The Viking is very comfortable, everyone who rides in mine comments on how smooth it is over rough stuff. You've also got the option of buying better shocks to get it even smoother, there are plenty of aftermarket ones available.

As for the river crossing if your quad is getting pushed down stream your Viking will be worse I'd imagine. And your cab will flood of course. Everything is really well snorkeled on the Viking and you can extend the belt intake and exhaust to make it even better.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Cactus is right on point. My Viking will go anywhere I point it and through almost anything with the right tires. Three considerations. 1. It is wider than most and will require more care on tight NE wooded trails. Expect to be brush busting. On the flipside the extra width makes it more stable. 2. The Viking still has a single cylinder 700cc class engine. It has great low end torque but is simply not as fast as other offerings with larger engines. If you don't absolutely need the middle seat look at the new Wolverine. 3. The Viking is noisy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Netrailrider

·
Registered
12 Posts
As for the river crossing if your quad is getting pushed down stream your Viking will be worse I'd imagine. And your cab will flood of course. Everything is really well snorkeled on the Viking and you can extend the belt intake and exhaust to make it even better.
I will probably remove the doors so the water can flow right through it and not push it as much when it gets deeper.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I've had mine in the river here up to probably 3' deep but we go straight up or down the river, have never tried crossing further up where you can actually go across where it is pretty deep and flowing hard. I think I would try to walk across first to check it out. I can swim, Viking's can't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts