Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a trip this weekend. Left Saturday put on about 185 km and overnighted in Mont Laurier QC. Got up this morning (-17 Celcius) checked the breather vent line and fired the 'ol girl up. She moaned a little, but obedient as ever, she came to life. I allowed sufficient time for it to warm up in the parking lot before heading down the trail for home. Drove for about 2 hours and then she blew the dipstick. I caught it before the engine grenaded. Thankfully, we were close to a small town. Used one of the grizzlies in the group to tow it to a gas station. Had it happened deep in the bush, I know I never would have gotten it out. With the snow on the ground, and the STEEP hills, nothing would have dragged it. So it's off to my dealer tomorrow to see what the diagnosis will be. I want to have it looked at (probably a tear down is in order). A lesson to all the northern owners, when it gets really cold out, be cognizant of that and be careful - watch that dipstick! I'm not exactly sure what froze, but hopefully they can figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,044 Posts
If the dipstick blew then there's compression getting past the piston somehow. Does the coolant handle that low a temperature? It will be a tear down for sure, good luck with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,044 Posts
I see what you mean, the dipstick blew then pumped the oil out? No damage to the engine when the dipstick blew, just when it ran out of oil later if not caught soon enough.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Your right mnt. The other guy didn't catch it and blew the motor. Yamaha said operator error I believe. Makes me nervous to get one.

Bob

From the interwebz.....
How would the cold contribute to this issue? I do alot of hunting and want to know what to watch out for if it gets real cold.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Did a trip this weekend. Left Saturday put on about 185 km and overnighted in Mont Laurier QC. Got up this morning (-17 Celcius) checked the breather vent line and fired the 'ol girl up. She moaned a little, but obedient as ever, she came to life. I allowed sufficient time for it to warm up in the parking lot before heading down the trail for home. Drove for about 2 hours and then she blew the dipstick. I caught it before the engine grenaded. Thankfully, we were close to a small town. Used one of the grizzlies in the group to tow it to a gas station. Had it happened deep in the bush, I know I never would have gotten it out. With the snow on the ground, and the STEEP hills, nothing would have dragged it. So it's off to my dealer tomorrow to see what the diagnosis will be. I want to have it looked at (probably a tear down is in order). A lesson to all the northern owners, when it gets really cold out, be cognizant of that and be careful - watch that dipstick! I'm not exactly sure what froze, but hopefully they can figure it out.
Here's a couple more...seems like both happened in very cold weather Problem with dipstick blow out with only 40.8 hours

·
Registered
65 Posts
Something related to the crankcase ventilation had to have iced up. I worked at UPS as a mechanic and we had this issue with the draft tube on our diesels at times. If the down draft tube got iced over (when conditions were right: (ice, sleet, snow, cold, and windchill) the draft tube could ice over. When that happened the engine would blow oil out all over. I am sure the Viking does not have a draft tube, but something has to have iced over to cause crankshaft pressure to blow out the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Yamaha Canada service representative is coming today to look at my Viking to see if he can determine what froze and caused the blow out. I was advised that it will probably be covered under warranty. Once he has a look at it (in the cold), I will take it to my dealer where they can haul it inside and give it a transplant! If we are able to determine today what froze during the ride, I will keep everyone advised so they can keep an eye on it, in the event of cold weather riding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi b767
would a oil pressure guage or a audio low oil presure alarm helped to indicate te this over presure issue before the engine failure?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found where the ice formed....will post a pic later. Right now taking it back to my freindly neighbor Yamaha Dealer!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Something related to the crankcase ventilation had to have iced up. I worked at UPS as a mechanic and we had this issue with the draft tube on our diesels at times. If the down draft tube got iced over (when conditions were right: (ice, sleet, snow, cold, and windchill) the draft tube could ice over. When that happened the engine would blow oil out all over. I am sure the Viking does not have a draft tube, but something has to have iced over to cause crankshaft pressure to blow out the dipstick.
Seems like the crank case vent tube that goes into the air filter box should prevent that from happening. Seems like maybe the tube could have froze up around the air box. That however is not a problem I have heard of anyone having in Louisiana, sorry. Glad you caught it before you ran it low on oil.

·
Super Moderator
4,044 Posts
Might be a re-call coming. Or at least a new part.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The lines have been pulled off (obviously) but the lower one had a little ball of ice in it just inside the breather. Pushed it out with a little allen key. The lines were clear of ice and snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi b767
would a oil pressure guage or a audio low oil presure alarm helped to indicate te this over presure issue before the engine failure?
I would think it would certainly help. The Viking doesn't have an oil temp or pressure indicator, just an engine temp warning. I believe the Yamaha service rep has an idea how to solve the issue.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
The lines have been pulled off (obviously) but the lower one had a little ball of ice in it just inside the breather. Pushed it out with a little allen key. The lines were clear of ice and snow.
B767: I haven't had the same exact problem but I have noticed on two occasions that the hose attached to the lower hose connection shown in your picture has popped off, even though I know it has been properly connected and clamped.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
B767: I haven't had the same exact problem but I have noticed on two occasions that the hose attached to the lower hose connection shown in your picture has popped off, even though I know it has been properly connected and clamped.
If I would've had that happened, it probably would've saved me a lot of grief. Yeah, that lower spigot just developed a little ball of ice and caused pressure build up and popped the dipstick. When your hose popped off, was it during cold temps?

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
As a matter of fact it was when temps dropped below 10 degrees Fahrenheit and my throttle cable froze. I noticed it both times while trying to solve that problem.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts