Viking Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a part of this forum for almost a year and my first post. Lots of great ideas and not saying someone hasn’t done this yet but putting my idea and solution out there.
Buddy and I brought our Vikings to work on on a Saturday at the station. Between calls of course.
On my Viking, one thing lots of Viking owners complain about while trailering their rides is the front windshield cracking from the wind pushing on the windshield while up. One solution is leave the windshield down, if you have a folding windshield, but most times it can fly up slapping the role cage and breaking or tie the windshield down while it’s folded and that’s a pain. My solution I took 2 rubberized clamps, a piece of 1”x1” aluminum angle cut to fit and drilled holes to place rubber bumpers so the windshield isn’t riding directly on the metal so it doesn’t scratch. And of course painted the angle black to match the role cage. I used aluminum because steel was heavy. No flex in the steel of course and I used 1/16” instead of 1/8” aluminum because they didn’t have the thicker when I was ready to put this thing together. In all looks great and no more worries about a cracked windshield. And it’s mounted high enough it’s well out of line of sight.
My buddy installed a new rear windshield that’s very cool and I need one like it now, a center console, Kevlar winch cable because his metal cable has got frays in it and Bluetooth speakers.
Check the pics out

Attachments

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
^^^Excellent work. Should reinforce against wind straining the plastic - as you've mentioned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lift kit wheels and tires are next. Clutch hopefully not much further down the road. Next thing to figure out is how to cover that huge gap at the top of the windshield and still be able to fold it. One thought is to take a piece of plexiglass and cut to fit the angles and curvature of the roof and attach it to the angle cross brace I made to support the windshield.

·
Registered
337 Posts
if you back your machine on trailer you don't have to worry about your windshield, I see you have the rear window as well,

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mine had a small crack started from towing with it up,put a small hole at each end of the crack and then made a aluminum brace out of 1/8 alum.angle .Bolted it across the window with stainless bolts with one stainless eye bolt on each side.Now i tow with it down and have a bungee in each eye bolt been to 80 mph and stayed down so I guess it's all good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know woody he hasn’t said and I haven’t thought to ask. I’ll see him tomorrow and I’ll ask.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my buddy said his back hard plastic back window did cut down on the engine noise. We talked about it this morning and he and one of the other guys brought up that putting bed liner all inside the bed helped a lot from what they’ve read other people have said and even doing the underside of the bed helped even more. I forget now what brand of do it yourself bed liner seems to work the best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buddy did bring his Viking to the station today. We are going to take all the green plastic off it today and he’s taking to a bed liner place here in town and going to shoot black on it today. He talked about doing the inside and underside of his bed another day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Buddy did bring his Viking to the station today. We are going to take all the green plastic off it today and he’s taking to a bed liner place here in town and going to shoot black on it today. He talked about doing the inside and underside of his bed another day.
I wanted to do this sound proofing via bed liner myself. Take lots of pics and tell us what you end up buying. I'll follow your lead!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apparently the best DIY bed liner is Hurculiner (if I spelt that right) that one of the guys at the station has read people have used to do the beds of their SxS’s that helped a lot of deadening engine noise. Said that that DIY liner did the best at deadening sound better than other DIY liners. Around $100. Inside and underneath the beds. Obviously there is a lot of prep work that will have to be done. Probably nothing I’ll be doing real soon but I defiantly will be doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well my buddy said his back hard plastic back window did cut down on the engine noise. We talked about it this morning and he and one of the other guys brought up that putting bed liner all inside the bed helped a lot from what they’ve read other people have said and even doing the underside of the bed helped even more. I forget now what brand of do it yourself bed liner seems to work the best.
Thanks for checking! my next purchase is a back window, but i may also try out that herculiner,,,that engine noise sucks, dont get me wrong, i dont mind the noise blocking out a little of the wifes voice ;) but i am tired of her saying "what?" everytime i have to speak..lol

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
Thanks for checking! my next purchase is a back window, but i may also try out that herculiner,,,that engine noise sucks, dont get me wrong, i dont mind the noise blocking out a little of the wifes voice ;) but i am tired of her saying "what?" everytime i have to speak..lol
You've got the noise dampening kit installed? Earlier models didn't come with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
Being a 2019 yours will have it. It was an add on kit available to earlier Vikings that came without it. On those models you could see straight into the engine bay from the cab! Noisey! If you look up some of the old posts on here you'll see some of the modifications members did to seal up the cab to stop the noise, using carpet, foam, etc. It might give you some ideas to add further sound dampening to yours.

Reactions: woody

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh no. The one with the bed liner on it is my buddy’s. Mine is the camo. Got back earlier today from our 3 days of riding in Arkansas. Blast! Buddy in the black Viking laid his on its side. Sorry on pic of that. One of the other guys in our group laid his Kawasaki on its side then the next day broke his shift cable. Me well thought my week was over. Climbing a wet slick rocky hill to fast just to make it to the top and hit a rock with the right front tire HARD just knew I busted a tire and bent a wheel. NOPE! Bent steering rod instead!!
Next morning we took it off put it in a steak hole on a trailer used a cheater pipe and straightened it out enough to ride again!
those rods are hard! But good enough for now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts