Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting our new machined sheave on this forum and not getting much response, I was thinking well maybe I can't assume all Viking owners are past rhino owners and know what a machined sheave is or what clutching this Viking does.

Who needs any of it?

Clutch kit only., actually I think no one because the benefits you get from the machined sheave and the kit far outweigh the kit alone but I will address it.

Anytime you put heavy or larger tires or lots of heavy accessories on a Viking you drop engine rpm and put heavier loads on the clutch, which mean less performance and higher belt temps.

So you need lighter roller weights in the clutch to bring what is called shift speed up, or another words the engine RPM back up that you lost with the heavy tires or weights. Then the stiffer secondary spring is to give more belt grip, faster backshifting for hill climbing and to slow the shift out down so you stay in "lower gear" longer for better acceleration.

So what does the sheave do? Basically it just manipulates the belt to run lower in the primary on take off for better low end, gives you the power you need to get the bigger tires going and better low end overall. Then it is machined to get more belt travel up on top end and that is why the Viking we were testing was running 58 mph and only 7300 rpm which means with the right mods you could run in the 60's with the machined sheave.

So just like a rhino, the machined sheave and clutch weights and spring are a great addition to the vehicle. I would dare to say we have sold more machined sheaves than anyone now we over 2000 sold. Been at this a long time.

If you have any questions, call me at the office. In the mean time make sure you read the tech article on the sheave on our site.

Link to the sheave tech article.

Todd
601-771-0070

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm expecting mine next week and should be be installing next weekend. Ill let you know how it works out if we don't actually get rhe 24 inches of snow they are calling for.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hunterworks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mines already installed....love being greaseless

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mines already installed....love being greaseless
Brandon, I been meaning to call you. Since I machined yours and figured this out, you really need to swap belts. I can't tell you for sure but I think if you ride your Viking long at high speeds you are going to blow that belt due to it being the limiting factor on the top speed, it will be stretching and heating up at high speeds.

For everyone else reading this, Brandon sent his sheave in for machining mainly for the low end before we finished the project out.

Tod

·
Registered
464 Posts
I will call you tomm morning Todd

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ordered a new cam plate as well so I can assemble the clutch on the bench with no cleaning. I should be able to just take the old sheave off and install the new one. The Cam plate is only $25 up here in Canada and cheaper in the US I'd say so it should make the job cleaner and easier.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a new cam plate as well so I can assemble the clutch on the bench with no cleaning. I should be able to just take the old sheave off and install the new one. The Cam plate is only $25 up here in Canada and cheaper in the US I'd say so it should make the job cleaner and easier.
Yes with a belt and I think you got one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get it installed? What did you think?
We have about 50 inches of snow down now so I'm going to wait till the spring now. We were hit early this year with winter.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
Very very unhappy with hunterworks..... Hopefully Todd is a standup man and fixes this issue being I have put 10 min on it since his clutch and my inner sheave and cam plate is stripped and I know why so.....I will update this once it is fixed

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Wow, not good at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very very unhappy with hunterworks..... Hopefully Todd is a standup man and fixes this issue being I have put 10 min on it since his clutch and my inner sheave and cam plate is stripped and I know why so.....I will update this once it is fixed
I wish you had told me about a problem before reading this here. Now I look like I am not doing anything about something when I have no idea about a issue.

Todd

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well just talked to Todd and we are getting this issue resolved....it wasn't the sheave itself as much as we are thinking the belt and shim mod as I was the first with a viking sheave.....he is taking responsibility for it being I didn't have the belt he recommends now and I should be riding the viking in no time......HUNTERWORKS FTW......I can say after all this I was very unhappy but after this morning I can honestly say I will do my business with them from here on out....GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.....glad to see people care about their customers instead of just putting green in their back pocket.....thanks again Todd and hunterworks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well just talked to Todd and we are getting this issue resolved....it wasn't the sheave itself as much as we are thinking the belt and shim mod as I was the first with a viking sheave.....he is taking responsibility for it being I didn't have the belt he recommends now and I should be riding the viking in no time......HUNTERWORKS FTW......I can say after all this I was very unhappy but after this morning I can honestly say I will do my business with them from here on out....GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.....glad to see people care about their customers instead of just putting green in their back pocket.....thanks again Todd and hunterworks
It's no problem and I appreciate you posting this. We just seemed to have gotten the cart ahead of the horse with you.

For everyone else who does not know, Brandon sent his sheave in, we machined it the same way we do them now but was not done testing. The after testing results showed we needed to change belts and do not use a shim with the sheave.

We are having zero issues with other Viking sheaves out there doing it the present way.

Todd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts