Viking Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 Viking VI EPS SE with 700 that has a bad crank/rod bearing. ~3500 miles. Cylinder and piston still in great shape. My intention was to just do a complete rebuild kit in the traditional sense of top and bottom end kit. However, the only complete kit I can find comes from BPracingatv , and it's a stroker kit which I do not want. They also do not have the best reviews on google (anyone ever bought from them?). HotRods and Wiseco do not list cranks available for this machine. A new, stock crank from Yamaha is ~$500. Rebuilding the crank with new Rod, Journal pin, and rod bearing is also an option. I have the equipment and inspection tools to do so, but my time is worth something to me.

Who has done a complete top and bottom engine rebuild? Where and how are you sourcing parts for these 700 viking engine rebuilds? I am used to just buying the all in one wrench rabbit style kits which is super nice. I can't find such a thing for these machines.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hope someone other than me replies to you. I have not done a rebuild kit but I need to do one. My Viking IV EPS SE has over 8,000 miles on it and she still runs strong, but she's going to be due for one soon I fear.

Having thought about this, I considered just finding a totaled Viking and steeling the engine from it. Unfortunately, not many of these things get totaled. Not like the RZRs and X3s.

What about buying all OEM parts from Partzilla? I assume that's a very expensive path to take.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, here is what I have learned so far, in order of preference....My plan for now is to send it to get rebuilt at MrCrankshaft ATV Crankshaft repair site.

1) MrCrankshaft ATV Crankshaft repair site. gave me a quote to rebuild my crank for $299. That's new rod, crank pin, and bearing. All trued, balanced, and return shipped to me with old parts also returned for my viewing pleasure. Quoted a 1-3 day turn around from the time they get it. I suspect this is a better option as I think he will return a truly inspected, balanced, and trued crank that will give many years of service. I have seen some factory cranks with runout of .008 or more right out of the box. From what I see so far my crank will be rebuilable but wont know till I get it pulled.

2) Motosport.com lists a factory yamaha crank for something like $497. Ships within5-8 business days. Guessing drop ship from factory. Then a standard bore cylinder kit is about another $500. Will go this route if crank has hidden damage I haven't seen yet.

3) Bpracingatv has a full rebuild kit for 1050 and includes seals, bearings, etc. Looks to be a stroker kit though. I want to stay away from this as much as possible, but will be my defcon 0 option. Stroker kits require so much tuning and messing around that I don't want. It's a viking for pete sake. If I wanted fast perfromance I would have bought something different!

I also joined some groups on the book of faces. But just not many people doing rebuild there themselves. Mostly people doing bolt on add on stuff.

Hope this helps but still would love to hear thoughts if people know of other options that don't included a dealer or dropping in a new engine!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I hope someone other than me replies to you. I have not done a rebuild kit but I need to do one. My Viking IV EPS SE has over 8,000 miles on it and she still runs strong, but she's going to be due for one soon I fear.

Having thought about this, I considered just finding a totaled Viking and steeling the engine from it. Unfortunately, not many of these things get totaled. Not like the RZRs and X3s.

What about buying all OEM parts from Partzilla? I assume that's a very expensive path to take.
have 11,500 miles and 1900 hours on mine and still running strong,i change oil every 100 hours

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have not rebuilt a 700, but I am assuming that the 660 (grizzly) was and is near the same.
I had had a few too many wobbly pops, and a buddy dared me to crawl up a beaver dam one fine evening, well, ugh, needless to say things got a little wet.
Some how I developed a real bad knock once pulled out of the pond, so, BIG Bore was the solution.
I cant remember exactly which parts I all replaced, but piston, cylinder ,crank and every gasket/seal one could think of . Then of course, when you're that deep, a mud buster cam was needed too.
If memory serves correct, I ended up with a 709cc engine after, and into it for about $900 in parts and about 300 in more wobbly pops.
And, it truly was a stump puller. If any of you can remember, the 660 griz came with a pull starter cord, in the event the battery dies. Ya, good luck pulling that bastard, so my buddy says, ya know, I wander how well itll run on a 660 raptor cam shaft, so, wobbly pops outta the way, and voilà . Cam installed. It wouldn't putt around, always wanted to be white knuckle driven, so I got tired of wrenching on it and sold it to some young guy who thought a great mud machine needed to driven wide open throttle. I guess that's why I know have silver hair.:cool::cool::cool:

If you're going to do it, go all in, you'll have a blast and learn how it all works. Just get a big banquet table and spread out everything very precise and neatly. It'll be fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
have 11,500 miles and 1900 hours on mine and still running strong,i change oil every 100 hours
Those numbers are awesome, I don't have a fraction of those, but I assume that you live in an area where majority of riding, is not just the summer time, like I have up here.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, here is what I have learned so far, in order of preference....My plan for now is to send it to get rebuilt at MrCrankshaft ATV Crankshaft repair site.

1) MrCrankshaft ATV Crankshaft repair site. gave me a quote to rebuild my crank for $299. That's new rod, crank pin, and bearing. All trued, balanced, and return shipped to me with old parts also returned for my viewing pleasure. Quoted a 1-3 day turn around from the time they get it. I suspect this is a better option as I think he will return a truly inspected, balanced, and trued crank that will give many years of service. I have seen some factory cranks with runout of .008 or more right out of the box. From what I see so far my crank will be rebuilable but wont know till I get it pulled.

2) Motosport.com lists a factory yamaha crank for something like $497. Ships within5-8 business days. Guessing drop ship from factory. Then a standard bore cylinder kit is about another $500. Will go this route if crank has hidden damage I haven't seen yet.

3) Bpracingatv has a full rebuild kit for 1050 and includes seals, bearings, etc. Looks to be a stroker kit though. I want to stay away from this as much as possible, but will be my defcon 0 option. Stroker kits require so much tuning and messing around that I don't want. It's a viking for pete sake. If I wanted fast perfromance I would have bought something different!

I also joined some groups on the book of faces. But just not many people doing rebuild there themselves. Mostly people doing bolt on add on stuff.

Hope this helps but still would love to hear thoughts if people know of other options that don't included a dealer or dropping in a new engine!
I just posted my story about rebuilding a 660, I had not read you post here, but I do believe that my kit was from Bpracing, and it was a stroker kit. My thoughts are , seeing that the viking is fuel injected, not carbed, would the ECM not accommodate a slight variance in fuel delivery/exhaust without any problems. Im no techno mechanic, but Id give it a try.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Those numbers are awesome, I don't have a fraction of those, but I assume that you live in an area where majority of riding, is not just the summer time, like I have up here.
yes i ride all winter untill the snow gets too deep,i am fortunate to be able to ride from my home also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: I got the crank pulled and it's too damaged to rebuild. Boooo. Rod struck the sides of the counterweights and they are fairly scarred. Maybe would be fine but not gonna put this kind of time and moola into a scarred crank. I ended up finding a complete stock kit from bpracingatv and ordered it today. And honestly, by the time I rebuild the crank and buy all the individual gaskets, bearings, etc...I'm still money ahead. Metal shavings took out the transmission bearings so replacing all those too while I am there. I'm shocked at yamaha bearing prices. But they are just standard bearing that I can buy from the local bearing supply for 1/4 the cost. Same brand even. I tried finding videos on rebuilding these viking engines but can find none. I'm surprised I guess. Using a lot of older info from grizzly and raptor rebuilds and adapting that to fit my need.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I’ve got a BPRacing rebuild in mine. HotRod crank CP 11:1 piston stock bore. Plenty tough. If you have no luck on their website finding what you want, they also have a few listings on ebay. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cactus
1 - 10 of 10 Posts