Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all : my 2017 Viking could not start today and I found out after a few hours of troubleshooting that 2 wires in the crankshaft position sensor wiring harness had been chewed through by rodents.

I am considering the following options to fix the problem : 1) Splice the wire back together 2) Replace the sensor and wiring harness.

question : is the sensor and wiring harness combination easy to replace? If not, I'll take the trouble to crimp the broken wires back together

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
I have no idea about the replacement option, I have never done it, but I would definitely be trying to do the wire splicing. Do you have a service manual? If you do that may give you an idea if you want to tackle the replacement or not.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
2 wires in the crankshaft position sensor wiring harness had been chewed through by rodents. I am considering the following options to fix the problem :
1) Splice the wire back together
2) Replace the sensor and wiring harness.
I would suggest poison, .22 cal. shot shells or fire. Oh, I would try to splice them first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea about the replacement option, I have never done it, but I would definitely be trying to do the wire splicing. Do you have a service manual? If you do that may give you an idea if you want to tackle the replacement or not.
yes I am getting hold of the service manual. It looks like I will need to drain the oil and remove the sensor + stator assembly to change it out. Good grief.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest poison, .22 cal. shot shells or fire. Oh, I would try to splice them first.
OK will try to splice them first regardless. Those rodents are getting immune to the poison in the bait stations I have put in with pest control!!

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
If you buy the latest types of rat poison (brodifacoum, flocoumafen etc) you'll find that you won't have any resistance problems. Stay away from the older bait types eg warfarin. The latest poisons are a one feed kill type of poison.

And definitely splice the wires back together.

·
Registered
28 Posts
After Harvey hit Texas some years back, i developed a bad rat problem, I am on high ground but flooded in all directions around me, drove all the rats out to high ground, Took me a few years to finally get control back, poison was not the best options, have a nesting bald eagle in the area and they are seen patrolling my pastures at times so got a bit creative. had a spare 10 mile electric fence controller, 5 gallon bucket, cut a hole on one side near the top, small slot on the backside to hold the metal strap, strap is about 1.25 inch wide, used hardware cloth to make a basket to suspend above the runway, basket and runway charged, rat steps up to get to the dog food and completes the circuit. Smaller mice it would kill right then, larger rats sometimes would just get knocked out and fall to the bottom, which was filled with water, so that would drown any survivors. Made a bunch of theses to put around the house and barn, daisy chained them together with the fence wire.
Initially was pulling 10 to 15 rats a day from each bucket,

·
Registered
121 Posts
Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your doorstep...

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
Love it kings-peak!

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Hope I never need rat traps, but if I did, your way seems superior to any I’ve seen. Nice work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts