Viking Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Appreciate the info, i really like my Yamaha rear window, it doesn't seal up to the roof, so i think air can go up under the roof and into the cab. So we bought some material like the Yamaha one is made of, and where going to cut a piece to cover up that gap under the roof, and should keep the dust out even better, i'll post up some pics when done, hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys, new member here. Man im glad I found this place. Im already workin on exhaust wrap/shields to fix the diff heat issues that I wasn't even aware of before comin here! In turn im tryin hard to fix some of the noise issue now. Long story short I have so far managed to seal off the area tween bed and cab with memory foam from an old mattress topper I replaced. Its been cold but I rode some and the noise is def a lot lower. Still workin on how to clean up the install and will post pics soon.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Hey guys, new member here. Man im glad I found this place. Im already workin on exhaust wrap/shields to fix the diff heat issues that I wasn't even aware of before comin here! In turn im tryin hard to fix some of the noise issue now. Long story short I have so far managed to seal off the area tween bed and cab with memory foam from an old mattress topper I replaced. Its been cold but I rode some and the noise is def a lot lower. Still workin on how to clean up the install and will post pics soon.
Hey there, welcome to the site!!! And thanks for the info, keep us updated

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sound vs rhino

I have a Rhino 450 right now and I am looking really hard at the Vikings. This noise issue is the only thing holding me back. How much louder is it than the Rhino's? I will be using it mainly at my hunting lease and cruising at around 25mph normally. I tried to find an email address on the yamaha main site to ask them about this but I cant find one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a Rhino 450 right now and I am looking really hard at the Vikings. This noise issue is the only thing holding me back. How much louder is it than the Rhino's? I will be using it mainly at my hunting lease and cruising at around 25mph normally. I tried to find an email address on the yamaha main site to ask them about this but I cant find one.
Nothing any quieter, they all loud to most.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a Rhino 660 and the recently steeped up to the Viking. I don't find the Viking louder. It doesn't rattle and vibrate as much which is nice. The Viking overall if better but not significantly with overall noise. Just my opinion based on my ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: leb337

·
Registered
520 Posts
I guess it depends what you are use to.

I would attempt to add some sound insulation around the engine bay and see if that'll make a difference. A quieter muffler would help as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Talked to my dealer today and he asked me how I liked my viking.Told him about the noise and he said time helps with the break in and adjusting valves at that time.Also said some folks are putting noise absorbent material in the top.Its been noticed that those without the tops are less noisy ,which makes sense,just ride in the back and see what a difference it is. Still noisy but not nearly as bad.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well the exhausts usually get a tad bit quieter once the black stuff builds up on the inside. But its not going to make a night and day difference.

The absorbent sound material might be useful here.

Anyone wanna have a go?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Waitin on the Dynaliner to come in so I can test it out under the seats and such. I have a few other products/ideas in mind to quiet things down that I'm gonna try. Hope to get something accomplished tomorrow and report back with outcome and pics. I used memory foam tween bed and cab so far, and that made a definite measurable difference. Have high hopes for my plans. Waitin on the USPS as usual for now!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Alright guys I'm bout done with my soundproofing. The pics below will show the first material I used. I then covered everything that's in red with the Dynaliner (DL). I then covered the clutch breather that wraps up behind the cab with the DL also. I also used the DL inside the cab (between seats, under and behind seats. I have enough material left to probably cover the front of the bed that faces the cab. Used one roll of 1/4" 32x54 DL. Didn't get to ride it to test, but did let it idle/rev a bit to see results. So far the noise from this test sounds "further behind me" than before if that makes sense. I put a 4" square of foam under driver seat to cover that hole. Will DL front of bed tomorrow and drive it so I can report back with results.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Did you do anything to fill the gap between the back of the seats and the front of the bed? When I put a pool floaty between the two, I noticed quite a difference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh yea I have the entire area back there sealed off with memory foam from a mattress topper I replaced, and that alone made a big difference. But the pool noodle idea you have sounds great. Waterproof and easy to put in. Gonna hafta try that instead. Will put DL on the front of the bed and test ride tomorrow so I can share results from all the work.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Very curious as to where the best bang for the buck is. I haven't tried anything besides filling the space and gaps between the seats and the bed.
With what I know now, these are the areas where there is room for, at least, some noticeable noise reduction.

In order...
Sound dampening seat to bed area
Bed mat and/or liner
Modified exhaust (as it sounds in the cab)
Rear window

Knowing what you know, where would the sound dampening stuff fit into this? And, using these same items...how would you list them in order of importance? Would you add anything?

M-N-T

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't really know if you can necessarily list them by importance. For $100 or less you can do all the soundproofing I have done. I do think a bed mat might help next. The exhaust I don't feel is worth the money, as 6-10 dbs wont be hardly noticeable for the cost.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got to somewhat test ride the Viking today after my soundproofing effort. All in all, it is a much quieter ride. I had a 20 mph crosswind in low temps, so I cant say exactly how great the improvement was. I have previously done the roll on bedliner in my bed, but do think the noise could be decreased a bit more with the factory bed mat. Jus cant bring myself to spend $100 on that. Hopin to run across an old truck bed mat and jus cut it to fit. Would love to have that full hard cab kit from youtube, but I dang sure aint spendin 2-3K on it ha!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
So I'm assuming there is some sort of adhesive on the back of this stuff? How well do you thinks it's going to handle moisture?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Dynaliner is adhesive backed. It's not suppose to hold oil or water, so I guess we shall see. Prob as close to waterproof as anything out there. The area under the seats shouldn't catch much moisture short of a good bath I wouldn't think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was hoping it would be a little quieter with the motor towards the back. Has anyone here owned a Rhino and how does it compare to the noise from it?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
41 - 60 of 70 Posts