Viking Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 rides I have had to put in about 400-500ml of engine oil. Before that I hadn’t checked the oil level for a few rides and it was at the bottom of the dipstick and needed close to 2 liters of oil.
I was using Penrite 15w40 semi synthetic at the time. Gone back to Yamalube from today.
After my first rebuild I was using Penrite 15w50 full synthetic pro ester.
Only on the start of my last mud ride a friend behind said I was blowing a little pale smoke.
After oil change back to Yamalube I let the bike heat up until the fan kicked in (takes about 10+mins). Can smell oil in the exhaust a little with a slight Smokey haze at idle. 3 minutes in I gave it some gas and maintained about 3-4000 rpms, light blue hazy smoke was coming out from the exhaust. I gave it a few stabs on the throttle and a bit more smoke. 5-7?minutes later when the fan kicked in I gave it some gas - no smoke, maintained 4000 rpms - no smoke, stabbed it multiple times - no smoke.
No oil in radiator, no coolent in oil, no problems starting, plenty of power, no throttle hesitation.
What is my problem fellas??? Or do I just go riding and top up the oil when needed?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
414 Posts
Sounds like worn rings.

Reactions: Ironhide.au

·
Super Moderator
4,377 Posts
Valve stem seals?

Reactions: Ironhide.au

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valve stem seals?
That’s what I was hoping it may be. When I rebuilt the motor I got the head race ported and polished and replaced all the valves, springs, retainers and valve stem seals (KibbleWhite Black Diamond). I didn’t replaced the valve guides at that time.
JBS had said something about KPMI not being as good as widely thought. Apparently he had seen a few fail in the past.
So when I started to notice the oil missing the first thing I ordered was a set of Ferrea +1mm titanium race valves which are meant to be the best. So if I pull the head I may as well continue my upgrading adventure. Then if it happens to be rings, bore, piston etc well I may as well go for a bbk 734cc or 745cc Athena / CP kit.
Hopefully it doesn’t have to come to that cause I really like my current set up.
Stock bore, 11:1 CP piston, stage2 cam, HotRod Crank.
But if I take it apart, BBK add to cart.
Cheers

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Registered
5 Posts
The last 2 rides I have had to put in about 400-500ml of engine oil. Before that I hadn’t checked the oil level for a few rides and it was at the bottom of the dipstick and needed close to 2 liters of oil.
I was using Penrite 15w40 semi synthetic at the time. Gone back to Yamalube from today.
After my first rebuild I was using Penrite 15w50 full synthetic pro ester.
Only on the start of my last mud ride a friend behind said I was blowing a little pale smoke.
After oil change back to Yamalube I let the bike heat up until the fan kicked in (takes about 10+mins). Can smell oil in the exhaust a little with a slight Smokey haze at idle. 3 minutes in I gave it some gas and maintained about 3-4000 rpms, light blue hazy smoke was coming out from the exhaust. I gave it a few stabs on the throttle and a bit more smoke. 5-7?minutes later when the fan kicked in I gave it some gas - no smoke, maintained 4000 rpms - no smoke, stabbed it multiple times - no smoke.
No oil in radiator, no coolent in oil, no problems starting, plenty of power, no throttle hesitation.
What is my problem fellas??? Or do I just go riding and top up the oil when needed?
Cheers

Could be Valve Seals

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Look what arrived yesterday in the mail. New valve stem seals, plus all that +1mm shiny stuff too. I’m thinking of pulling the head and removing the KibbleWhite Black Diamonds and upgrading. I’m also gunna order my 734 BBK Athena 11:1 CP kit today as well I think. Just to be sure.
When it’s apart, add to cart.
Cheers

Reactions: cactus and Sport4x4

·
Super Moderator
4,377 Posts
Look what arrived yesterday in the mail. New valve stem seals, plus all that +1mm shiny stuff too. I’m thinking of pulling the head and removing the KibbleWhite Black Diamonds and upgrading. I’m also gunna order my 734 BBK Athena 11:1 CP kit today as well I think. Just to be sure.
When it’s apart, add to cart.
Cheers
Nice, that thing will be on the drag strip soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts