Viking Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer is currently setting up a new Viking for me. Should pick it up Thursday or Friday. Joined up here to see if there were any tips, tricks or problems to look out for so I don't end up out in the wilderness broke down. Been reading and searching for hours and it seems like the only problems are door latches and a few diff lock problems. Most forums for whatever may be the product are filled with problem posts but here it just seems to be happy people talking about mods and how they really like their Viking. Are these things bulletproof or just too new to the market to show any problems?

Getting a ESP model with a few accessories like SS316 wheels, Swamp Lite 26x9-12/26x12-12, windshield, winch, brush guard, headlight guards, rear grab bar, center mirror, over fenders and taillight guards.

Anything I should add to the list to be prepared for whatever the Alaska bush may dish out?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
One reason I went with the Yamaha was brand reliability. For example, while there are some cool Polaris models out and they have a huge market share (like 40%), my friends who have them report the most problems with them of anyone I know.

So far, the Vikings seem to be pretty bulletproof. And the door latches are just annoying, and if you get used to holding the latch open when you close it (instead of slamming it), it's fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
I've owned eight brand new Yamaha's since 2000 and like Bluemonkey said the Yamaha's have excellent reliability. I've had WR450's that have done over 15 000km and have never needed the valves adjusting, and never stopped or played up. My Viking has now just done 20 hours and I expect it to do many more without any issues. The only complaint I have is it's noisy, but hey, I think we are just expecting it to be quiet because it is "car-like', my WR450 is just as noisy but because you are on it on your own it is never noticed and never a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Same as said above, Ive had nothing but Yamaha's over the years, and had no issues, same with the Viking, had it almost a year now, and its been great.

I tried one new Polaris in 2010, sold it last year to put the money down on the Viking, the Polaris was POS, a Lemon, etc. Wouldnt' ever own or recommend anything they make to anybody.

Reactions: sandbagger

·
Registered
854 Posts
Same as said above, Ive had nothing but Yamaha's over the years, and had no issues, same with the Viking, had it almost a year now, and its been great.

I tried one new Polaris in 2010, sold it last year to put the money down on the Viking, the Polaris was POS, a Lemon, etc. Wouldnt' ever own or recommend anything they make to anybody.
Typical story I hear about Polaris, hardly anything good about them, which has been very discouraging.

·
Registered
73 Posts
20+ hours, 100+ miles. bought in march 2014.

Pulled a can-am out 2x, made it through the mud hole the can-am couldn't. knock on wood, hasn't gotten stuck.

door latches, just open them to latch, you get used to it.

shifter didn't respond quite right at beginning, other experienced same issue, dealer couldnt' find anything wrong, seems to get better as it gets broke in.

pulled an 1800+ camper out of the camping site, moves my 16ft flatbed around the property.

will be setting it up for snow soon. need that windsheild, good choice on getting it right away.

adding overfenders to keep sides from scratching up so bad.

noisy, only at high speeds. trail riding is just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Typical story I hear about Polaris, hardly anything good about them, which has been very discouraging.
Yep, close to 10 trips between 2 dealers, neither could find or fix problem it had from day 1 on the test drive off the showroom floor, salesman said, " Oh, its just been sitting awhile". Polaris didn't want t help resolve the issue, or help a first time customer, be a happy customer, so screw them i say.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
go with 27's... see my pics

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
x2 had a Polaris diesel quad years ago, was a POS, would never recommend anything Polaris to anybody ever again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Dealer is currently setting up a new Viking for me. Should pick it up Thursday or Friday. Joined up here to see if there were any tips, tricks or problems to look out for so I don't end up out in the wilderness broke down. Been reading and searching for hours and it seems like the only problems are door latches and a few diff lock problems. Most forums for whatever may be the product are filled with problem posts but here it just seems to be happy people talking about mods and how they really like their Viking. Are these things bulletproof or just too new to the market to show any problems?

Getting a ESP model with a few accessories like SS316 wheels, Swamp Lite 26x9-12/26x12-12, windshield, winch, brush guard, headlight guards, rear grab bar, center mirror, over fenders and taillight guards.

Anything I should add to the list to be prepared for whatever the Alaska bush may dish out?

Welcome to the site fellow Alaskan. i have had mine since september, and no problems. a little chilly though. snowmachine gear takes care of that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input. Put about 50 miles on the new unit this weekend running everything from dirt to mud to rocks and it seems to do great with whatever I threw at it. Did find that with the windshield up some sort of rear window is going to be needed as the dust rolls in very heavy over the rear. It's a bit large for some local 4 wheeler trails but I was able to squeeze through everywhere I wanted to go.

Couple questions:

What tire pressures you all running? The recommended 11psi is a bit much for the front in my opinion.

Is there some sort of govenor when shifting in and out of diff lock? Seemed to act like it a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Roughly 6psi.. .and the diff lock thing,, you need to put it in diff, drive forward a little bit and maybe back up a little bit sometimes... On your gauge cluster you need to make sure that the diff lock light has STOPPED blinking... If not, the buggy will govern itself until diff lock has fully engaged.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Roughly 6psi.. .and the diff lock thing,, you need to put it in diff, drive forward a little bit and maybe back up a little bit sometimes... On your gauge cluster you need to make sure that the diff lock light has STOPPED blinking... If not, the buggy will govern itself until diff lock has fully engaged.

6psi is too low. it calls for 10-12 on the front and 12-18 on the back depending on the load. running it to low will most certainly blow it off the bead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts