Viking Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Viking this past October and being cheap at the time I didn’t add a trailer to my bill...I’ve been looking at a few 14’ trailers now and was curious peoples thoughts on enclosed vs well...not enclosed.

The wife wants enclosed so we can haul other things if need be. I have seen a few of these in the $4-5k range new and some used ones less than that and am having a tough time deciding.

My Viking is not lifted nor do I have larger wheels on it, yet anyway. So what size/type trailer do people with only one machine tend to haul it with? I do go ice fishing so it would be nice to throw a portable shack on the trailer, but it fits in the bed of my truck just as easy.

Appreciate the input and any suggestions. If this is the wrong area to place this, let me know where to do so also if I should be considering anything else. I’m new...give me a break. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Well sir, I personally like the idea of a closed trailer.

However, because I may need a tractor one day, I went with the open Rice 7K Magnum car hauler. Have already hauled cars on it more than once and that's sayin somethin because I'm a yuppie with smooth computer hands.

7k Magnum / R Series Car Hauler - Made in USA - Rice Trailers

I have a 2" lift and 29.5" tires on 14" rims and can get it into my garage with room to spare. Total height is 78" at the highest part of the roof.

...probably used to be an inch taller.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a 12' caravan open trailer and an older 24' haulmark with 8' ceiling that I converted to a toy hauler.i need to do some alterations to get the Viking in as have added a vanity and storage rack in the back end.for short trips I like the open trailer as it is light and can turn it around manually if needed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well sir, I personally like the idea of a closed trailer.

However, because I may need a tractor one day, I went with the open Rice 7K Magnum car hauler. Have already hauled cars on it more than once and that's sayin somethin because I'm a yuppie with smooth computer hands.

7k Magnum / R Series Car Hauler - Made in USA - Rice Trailers

I have a 2" lift and 29.5" tires on 14" rims and can get it into my garage with room to spare. Total height is 78" at the highest part of the roof.

...probably used to be an inch taller.
I got the same one as SKRILLZ but think mine is longer 20' and has a little more bling on it from factory like the diamond plate over the front of the fenders and the built in tongue box up front with a locking diamond plate lid. I have had it for 2 or 3 years now and it still looks new and pulls nice and straight, has never given me any wiggles going down the road loaded or empty and dont matter what speed i am going....... has brakes on both axles, powder coated all over, all lights are bright LED with the clear lenses and a 1 piece wire harness, not the 4 or 5 strand flat **** you see on most. I can haul 2 side x sides with no problem on it. but only thing i would change is i wish i would have went with the 14k version just in case i needed to haul something heavier. I have also kicked around the idea of a 24 - 26' foot enclosed trailer and make a small camper area in the front for over night trips but i have also thought about finding a cheap pop up camper with no axle or slide in truck bed camper to throw on the front of trailer and strap down when the need comes up so who knows but the enclosed would be handy in rain and for little extra storage room when not in use.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I think I’ve settled on a 14’ utility trailer. Found a good one around my area for around $1800. So if the wife wants a enclosed for hauling stuff, I could find a cheap enclosed on that doesn’t need to be big enough for the Viking to fit in and not have to worry about height with any upgrades.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I can’t recall but I think mine is a 14’. Has enough room for the Vike and some fuel cans and/or coolers on the deck in front of the Vike. My trailer has a larger rear ramp gate and I strap the Vike down a few inches in front of the gate. You’ll only strap down to the front of the trailer with all your other gear behind the Viking once until you realize you have to move coolers, generators, and fuel jugs to get the Vike unloaded.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
When I sold one of my ATVs for the Viking, I kept my 14' aluminum open trailer. It works fine, but the only thing I can haul is the Vike. (it has a tool box in the front that takes up 2' or so)

My concern is that if the trailer breaks down & I've gotta leave it along side the road, that I'll come back to find my Viking is missing stuff..

I'm on the cusp of ordering an 8.5 X 20 V-nose enclosed trailer.
That way I can load the Viking, my ATV, wood chipper, generator etc.. and have it all safe inside. AND if I need to haul a car... I can.

Enclosed is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts

Yay!

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
333 Posts
That’s not good.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I can’t tell whether I can replace the hub or need an entire axle. The trials and tribulations of being a yuppie.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
333 Posts
More than likely you should be able to just replace the hub assembly if the axle isn’t damaged. Better take the other 3 off and check them out and repack with fresh grease too.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
As above, it's only the bearings that have failed, the axle and hub should be ok. And if the hub is damaged it's an easy fix. A damaged axle is a different story. Replace the other three bearing sets asap. Actually the hub does look a bit flogged, how long was it wobbling around for before it came off? And for an FYI, you can drive like that, and if you want to go a long way strap that axle up if you can.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
380 Posts
i had this happen on my cargo trailer and had to cut the bearing race on the axle with a zip saw to get it off,it looks to me that these bearings can be greased without taking wheels off.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
333 Posts
I saw the bearing buddies also

1 - 14 of 14 Posts