Viking Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got the Viking out in the trails on an "official" ride with my buddies on their quads. I felt like I was driving a bus. It was constantly rubbing trees and getting limbs caught in the roof. I had to back up a lot. I bottomed out multiple times. However my buddies were impressed with how much torque she had. They didn't seem to mind the width because I would clear the trail while I was leading the pack.

So I'm having crazy thoughts about selling her for a 50 wide. Would a lift and/or bigger wheels help with the bottoming out? It happened mostly while climbing over small "whoops."

·
Registered
179 Posts
It would give you more ground clearance however you have a much longer wheel base than a quad, you can always just do the hillbilly move and just put the gas down and smile hoping for the best.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Remember it's NOT a quad. It's a bigger, heavier, wider & more stable machine with the ability to haul 3 people and cargo. I don't know that a 50" UTV would make you that much more happier? However, I could be wrong.

If your looking for the agility of a quad a UTV will not please you. It's like comparing a Camaro to a Jeep. Do you want to haul Azz on the road or do your want to play in the mud?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like you got the wrong tool for the job. I have run a few four wheeler trails and yes it's a tight squeeze as it's way wider than a four wheeler. Bigger tires will help with the bottoming out but it still ain't a quad. Like quack said your comparing a Camaro to a Jeep but I would say more like comparing a Jeep to a Crewcab Longbed Truck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like a rzr or sport SxS is what you need or a quad. I'm sure you could spend a bunch of cash making your viking better in the trails but it is still big! What was the reason you purchased the Viking? Just curious. Not to many people look at the Viking and say that's a perfect aggressive trail masher.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
So I finally got the Viking out in the trails on an "official" ride with my buddies on their quads. I felt like I was driving a bus. It was constantly rubbing trees and getting limbs caught in the roof. I had to back up a lot. I bottomed out multiple times. However my buddies were impressed with how much torque she had. They didn't seem to mind the width because I would clear the trail while I was leading the pack.

So I'm having crazy thoughts about selling her for a 50 wide. Would a lift and/or bigger wheels help with the bottoming out? It happened mostly while climbing over small "whoops."
Sounds to me like you bought the wrong equipment for what you like to do, so yes, you should sell it and buy a quad

·
Registered
963 Posts

I am much happier with mine on the trails after the lift and 27" tires, I think you would be making a move in the wrong direction by going to a 50" machine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's not a atv.... really... Sorry but common sense should tell you it won't fit where atv's can go. I don't like getting slapped in face anyways by branches lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I mean you could always invest in a windscreen to stop the branches from hitting you in the face. It does sound like you might do better with a different machine though. Just remember what you would be giving up that the Viking can do that a ATV won't be able to do.

·
Registered
290 Posts
if you like the sit down car style pilot position you might like that Polaris ACE, little singe seater supposed to be bundles of fun...

but then keep in mind if you're going to be ok with the lack of capability...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought the viking because I wanted something that me and the boss lady could hit the back roads with and the trails with my friends. I DO realize that it isn't a quad. I use it around the property for a lot of projects too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It takes a little getting use to with the size. I don't think you'll regret it the longer you have it. Especially if Momma's happy, life will be gooooddddd! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts