Viking Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition "Orange Crush"
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend we went on a couple long rides on our 2020 Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition. It gets so hot on the front and rear passengers legs from the engine heat.
I’ve searched a lot of threads, knowing I can’t be the only one with the issue, and I can’t find anything that someone has done to vent or dissipate the heat on their machine. Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
I've never heard of anyone complain about this? Do you live in a hot area? I know in winter a lot of heat comes through my handbrake slot when the fan comes on, maybe check that and block it up?

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
Yes this isn’t usually a Viking thing. Mostly because most Vikings are 3 seaters and the engine is behind the seat’s. This not so much with the 6 seater. The Wolverines and polaris have more of a mid engine design and guy’s complain about the heat on those. I have seen posts on the Wolverine forum about it, where they are adding heat shields.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition "Orange Crush"
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't live in a hot area, (northern Illinois), but when we went driving in Wisconsin last weekend, it was in the 90s. We were moving along quick up in the hills and not stressing the machine out, but I had to keep opening the quarter door on my side to get some air flow on the floor.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
Keep the windows rolled down LOL! 😂

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
honda pioneer 1000s get hot from underneath and lack leg room - seem like great machines otherwise

never heard of vikings generating heat like that

·
Registered
2021 Viking VI Ranch Edition
10 Posts
I have the same issues. I am going to try to place some armaflex insulation on the coolant lines under the cab to prevent heat from coming up. I installed a mellofab cooling system to keep my temperature lower with a SPAL fan so I know my coolant Temps run about 185 max unless going up long hills. Heat just builds up under the center seats and makes the back of my legs hot. Also going to add some adhesive backed heat shield to the center floor and seat panels as well.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
I haven't found cab heat to be too bad in the Viking but I don't get to do much long trail riding. @Arnys94 - what are you using for a windshield? I have the Yamaha Folding and I also have a 1/2 windshield that I run most of the time in the Summer. I sure miss the SuperATV flip-up windshield that I had on my Wolverine. It provided such great ventilation and still protected you from flying debris. I know that lower plastic gets hot but finding a way to get more air flow might help you out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't found cab heat to be too bad in the Viking but I don't get to do much long trail riding. @Arnys94 - what are you using for a windshield? I have the Yamaha Folding and I also have a 1/2 windshield that I run most of the time in the Summer. I sure miss the SuperATV flip-up windshield that I had on my Wolverine. It provided such great ventilation and still protected you from flying debris. I know that lower plastic gets hot but finding a way to get more air flow might help you out. Just a thought.
I have a flip up windshield so cab heat isn't too bad. My biggest problem is the heat on the back of my legs. I usually ride 4-5 + hours and that heat generated off the coolant lines smokes the back of my legs.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
I have a flip up windshield so cab heat isn't too bad. My biggest problem is the heat on the back of my legs. I usually ride 4-5 + hours and that heat generated off the coolant lines smokes the back of my legs.
Yep, I understand. I have a ride coming up in a couple of weeks that's a very large group and the pace is slow (lots of idling). I'll have to check the area you're referring to on mine. I guess I could throw a piece of pipe insulation on the rad lines to help a little.

I insulated and installed tons of sound pad in my Wolverine R-Spec. It helped some but took days to install (TOTAL PITA!). My main issue was the cab noise in that machine as it had a console in the center and the engine noise reverberated up the tunnel like crazy. I have the MelloFab temp kit in my Viking too and I love being able to keep an eye on the temp. I went with a hotter sending unit so fan comes on at about 193 and so far, I'm very pleased. Andy is a terrific guy to work with too. I actually want a little cab heat for some of the year as it gets COLD up here in MN! HAHA!

EDIT: What year is your Viking? In 2016 they started putting the sound deadening kit in from the factory. I wonder if maybe that also alleviates a little of the heat that you're referring to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
100% agree. I put 1/2" thick armaflex for 3/4" type L copper (7/8" od). A little bit of a pain in the ass but I believe it should help. I'm going to install heat shield under the middle seats as well to help with sound and heat as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, I understand. I have a ride coming up in a couple of weeks that's a very large group and the pace is slow (lots of idling). I'll have to check the area you're referring to on mine. I guess I could throw a piece of pipe insulation on the rad lines to help a little.

I insulated and installed tons of sound pad in my Wolverine R-Spec. It helped some but took days to install (TOTAL PITA!). My main issue was the cab noise in that machine as it had a console in the center and the engine noise reverberated up the tunnel like crazy. I have the MelloFab temp kit in my Viking too and I love being able to keep an eye on the temp. I went with a hotter sending unit so fan comes on at about 193 and so far, I'm very pleased. Andy is a terrific guy to work with too. I actually want a little cab heat for some of the year as it gets COLD up here in MN! HAHA!

EDIT: What year is your Viking? In 2016 they started putting the sound deadening kit in from the factory. I wonder if maybe that also alleviates a little of the heat that you're referring to?
2021 Viking VI Ranch

·
Registered
114 Posts
My ZombieKiller gets hot like this too. Mine is a VI, but I still get the heat blasting the back of my calfs. The kids in the back seats get it worse, especially from the holes in the cup holders. I've wondered if there was a solution that's wasn't just gluing some foil insulation. That stuff would not last long on my ZombieKiller. I think a fan strategically placed would be the best solution. If I weren't so keen on the dump bed, I'd opt to move the radiator to the back. I might end up doing this. I HATE the bed rattle, though it does make for easy access to the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My ZombieKiller gets hot like this too. Mine is a VI, but I still get the heat blasting the back of my calfs. The kids in the back seats get it worse, especially from the holes in the cup holders. I've wondered if there was a solution that's wasn't just gluing some foil insulation. That stuff would not last long on my ZombieKiller. I think a fan strategically placed would be the best solution. If I weren't so keen on the dump bed, I'd opt to move the radiator to the back. I might end up doing this. I HATE the bed rattle, though it does make for easy access to the engine.
Adding the MelloFab ultimate cooling system helped quite a bit - Fan turns on at around 182 whereas factory temperature for the fan to come on is around 200. I am hoping insulating the tubing under the floor will help significantly. I will follow up after my next long ride and let everyone know. We covered the tubing from the front where it is connected to the hoses to the rear just past the back seat where the hoses are connected there. It was tight but I got it in. I did not cover the spots where it was anchored down so it is only about 97% covered. I truly believe this should help significantly.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
I HATE the bed rattle, though it does make for easy access to the engine.
I discovered my bed rattle was coming from the passenger side tailgate hinge. I put a small piece of weather stripping between the bed and the hinge and no more noise. Which reminds me... it recently fell out and I need to do it again. That hinge is pretty sloppy.

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
On my 2014 when I shut my bed one side didn't latch, so it rattled, I had to walk around and push down on the front corner to make it latch, which fixed the rattle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, after about 50 miles of riding this weekend it did help some with the heat. I figure the majority of the heat is funneled off the radiator and passes through the body under the cab. Just curious if anyone has tried to deflect the heat to the sides or put a dam in front of the cab. Any suggestions?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts