Viking Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Gary
Look at the dash display under the 4WD Icon. Are there any numeric codes displayed? (Lower Left of Display)

Other questions:

Was any thing unusual done just before it started acting funny?
How many miles are on it?
Did you check the air filter as Cactus suggested? Was it clean?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
She bought it new. It’s not at my house so l must rely on her husband for the answers. I have forwarded the questions and let you know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It has 592 miles on it. The display under the 4WD icon is 000. She had it in an independent shop for this problem about a year ago but they couldn’t find the problem. The air filter box had some dead mice in it. They cleaned them out and cranked it with the filter out but it still does it. The filter itself was clean.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I think fault codes are two digits so maybe that is something else.

Ok here we go. The only way mice can get in there is via the air intake under the hood. My guess now is that mice chewed some wires. I had mice in the air box and lots of chewed wires under the hood. Have them start looking for that.

Also check the intake tube for mouse nests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
She said upon further inspection the code says ODO for odometer. She is going to take it to the dealer. They have technical support.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Please post the resolution. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
715 Posts
😳

·
Registered
230 Posts
I call BS on throttle surge! I have a 14’ and never heard of this. You need tickle the go pedal with some finesse lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
3,906 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
My daughter has a 2014 Viking. From idle if she tries to accelerate it surges preventing her from driving at near idle speeds. Could this be caused by the TPS?
My daughter has a 2014 Viking. From idle if she tries to accelerate it surges preventing her from driving at near idle speeds. Could this be caused by the TPS?
I have a 2014 Viking with the same or nearly the same problem. When going slow it surges when I give it just a little throttle and feels like the brakes and engaged when I let off of the throttle. It feels like accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake. Real jerky!

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I would love to hear your solution to this.
Their solution was to sell or trade in the Viking. If you figure it out please post it here for future readers.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
66 Posts
I've read through this thread. It just doesn't make sense to me. I understand the "jerky" feeling if you're on and off the throttle with the excellent Yamaha engine braking - especially in low range. With my Hunterworks sheave and shim to lower the starting pulley ratio, it exacerbates that sensation if you don't have good throttle control as the driver. Really wish there was another forum member close by those who are having trouble so they could check out these issues and compare. I remember some new Grizzly owners coming on that forum and having similar comments. They came from brands that don't have good engine braking and it took them a while to adjust.

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've read through this thread. It just doesn't make sense to me. I understand the "jerky" feeling if you're on and off the throttle with the excellent Yamaha engine braking - especially in low range. With my Hunterworks sheave and shim to lower the starting pulley ratio, it exacerbates that sensation if you don't have good throttle control as the driver. Really wish there was another forum member close by those who are having trouble so they could check out these issues and compare. I remember some new Grizzly owners coming on that forum and having similar comments. They came from brands that don't have good engine braking and it took them a while to adjust.
Bingo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
715 Posts
Agree also. Makes me wonder if slug kit and a Throttle Max would solve or at least smooth it out making it easier for them to control the throttle.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
As I said in post 13, maybe some riders don't understand how CVT and centrifugal clutches work and this is the normal surging that you get from that? I don't know.

Reactions: MNDirtRider
21 - 40 of 41 Posts