Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a 2014 Viking. From idle if she tries to accelerate it surges preventing her from driving at near idle speeds. Could this be caused by the TPS?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
That is a new one for me. Does her throttle cable move smoothly through the whole travel? It's a mechanical system and can get sticky.

The Viking can drive slowly but the wet clutch needs some RPM to engage. It won't engage at Idle.

Is it a new problem? When did it start?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the cable moves smoothly. I thought it might be the throttle position sensor but idk much about them or what they do. There is also a pressure sensor on the throttle body but I’m not familiar with those either.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
It has been doing if for over a year but she just told me about it.
Sounds like my Daughter.

I think we need some more detailed information about the problem. Here are some questions that may help:

1. If the Viking is in Neutral and she very slowly steps on the gas what happens? Does the RPM smoothly increase or does it go immediately from idle to zoom?
  2. If it is in Low and she slowly steps on the gas what happens? Does the RPM increase without moving and then 'catches' at higher RPM and takes off?
  3. Once moving can she slow down to just above idle and keep rolling along?
  4. How many miles are on the Viking?
  5. Has any work been done on the wet clutch or primary & secondary sheaves?
  6. Is it the original belt?
  7. What tires are on the Viking and what is it used for?
The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if it is not actually the throttle but something in clutching like a worn out wet clutch or a problem where the sliders in the primary sheave are stuck.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will need to confer with her on these questions but I know that in low if she slowly steps on the gas the rpm’s surge and the vehicle lurches.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I will need to confer with her on these questions but I know that in low if she slowly steps on the gas the rpm’s surge and the vehicle lurches.
OK. She may actually want to get down and push the pedal with her hand to watch when the cable slack is taken up and then starts pulling out of the sheath. This reminds of of when my cable had ice inside it and instead of coming out nicely it would hang up and then jump out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Answers to your questions:
1.immediately from idle to zoom.
2. Rpm’s surge and unit immediately lurches.
3. No.
4. Will have to check.
5. No.
6. Yes
7. 27”tires but did same thing with originals.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
OK. Best I can tell from quick reading is that if the Throttle Position Sensor is wonky, the engine should run poorly or not at all. There appear to be four connections to the throttle body. Air Intake Pressure Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, Fuel Injector Coupler and the ISC (Idle Speed Control) Unit coupler. I would first disconnect, check and re-connect each of them and then do some internet searches.

When Cactus comes in he may have some guidence.

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
This is not the normal surging that you get just above idle from a CVT and centrifugal clutch setup is it?

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
It's unlikely to be a sensor as the computer would know this. The TPS purely tells the computer where the throttle is at in its travel and therefore how much to advance the timing. Check your air cleaner, it sounds like fuel/air.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t believe this is normal because she can’t putt around at slow speed. If she accelerates slowly the rpm’s immediately increase disproportionately to pedal pressure.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
715 Posts
I don’t believe this is normal because she can’t putt around at slow speed. If she accelerates slowly the rpm’s immediately increase disproportionately to pedal pressure.
Your 100% correct, it is not normal. Unfortunately it is rare, it seams no one has heard of it before. There are some good suggestions above that might help. If they don’t pan out, I wonder if you might get more ideas on the Yamaha Wolverine forum.
It maybe a bad ECU.
keep us informed because this could help someone else in the future.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
715 Posts
Oooo personally….big mistake. She has a great machine just need to fix the issue it has. I have friends with polaris machines and they have far more issues.

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Can you get a video up, it's too hard to diagnose otherwise. Maybe take it to the dealer first?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts