Viking Forum banner

Things to not do with your Viking...

11K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Badger 
#1 · (Edited)
Number one: Not unhooking the battery powered post hole digger before jumping in and taking off in reverse.....

Made it most of the way back to the shop without the battery hooked up..... Then to finish the trip I just stuffed the ends back against what was left of the posts.....

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Yep.... The first thing I did was look at the battery and see where it said no open flames near it... So my plumbing torch may not be the best tool for that job.... But am thinking of trying to drill and tap what's left so that the tops of the posts can be bolted/screwed back down.... Just have to be sure to not go too deep.... Maybe then smelt it some around the cracks....

#3 ·
This is one of those threads you want to read but don't want to respond to, but if you have a "things not to do with you viking story" you kinda have to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I don't think yamaha makes a battery powered post hole digger, but I am interested to see what kind you are using

#8 ·
It is probably worth it to just get a new battery

#9 ·
Blue Wolf and Shawn2292!!!! Give your fuc&$)g heads a shake! The first thing you need to do is set up a video camera so we can all learn this little "How to" repair. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Lmfao! I could just see his all over YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Seriously don't mess with the battery. You're E R copay is probably $50. Way back in high school my auto class was disrupted by a battery explosion. Acid and fire everywhere. Mike went to check the fluid level with a lighter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Seriously don't mess with the battery. You're E R copay is probably $50. Way back in high school my auto class was disrupted by a battery explosion. Acid and fire everywhere. Mike went to check the fluid level with a lighter.
Good point.... I think the last ER room visit was $300 bucks.... The lady behind the desk actually said something like 'This is the highest co pay I've ever seen.'

#22 ·
So, after a quick trip to the Dr's office (actually, the vet) it was decided what to do....

I don't condone this behavior.....
BUT, the lead posts go deep into the battery... At least .75 of an inch...

The battery was drilled .5 deep and threads tapped into it.. A post was threaded in and locked down with a nut. Then a second nut was used to hold the cables down....

What was I going to do to it? Screw up a already screwed up battery???

A blim lawn and garden battery was $21 a deep cycle was $79... This is a temporary fix until Interstate Battery gets a blim deep cycle, in the $40 range....

Attachments

#23 ·
That's the repair I would have done, well maybe shorter studs.:D
I would run it that way until the battery croaks--should work for a long time.

#26 ·
I've had a similar issue in the past Blue Wolf, I just use a self tapper and a washer and screw the self tapper down into the lead, as you said there is plenty there. What you did looks good, that battery will last its full life, no need to buy a new one!

#30 ·
Awesome repair blue wolf. It's what I would of come close to doing. People laughed at our ideas. But urs worked. We are the difference between mechanics and parts changers. Mechanics fix what is broken. Parts changers just buy new and install. I have been a mechanic for quite a few years u made a very nice reliable repair.

#31 ·
been working on golf carts for years and I can't count how many times I have had to do similar repairs to the batteries in them. I typically use a 5/16 hanger bolt and it works like a charm. had one owner melt a post on a 2 month old battery, we did the hanger bolt repair and it was still there 6 years later when we swapped him in a new set of batteries.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.