Viking Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In at the Yamaha dealer and I spotted rust in the front wheel/axle area and also a non stainless bolt in the rear. I took a couple pics.
Is this normal?... as I would imagine that on the trails they are gonna see everything. But here in Ontario there's a lot of salt applied to the roads and parking lots during the winter months where these machines have been used around the dealers lot. I hate to buy a machine that had not been washed down regularly if they were exposed to road salt. I hate rust btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would say that machine has definitely been exposed to road salt. I am seeing no rust on those components on mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are a few bare steel parts on the machine... probably have light oil on them, but it doesn't take much to wear it off. Some of the driveshafts, the outer CV joints, and various machined areas are what I noticed. I sprayed those sections with a heavy wax type rust preventative spray (cosmoline for the old timers). Also applied it inside the frame rails, spot welds, nuts/bolts/pivots, anywhere that can trap water/moisture.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have noticed a little on mine after riding on salty roads and pressure washing it off, but that seems a little excessive especially for a brand new machine. Do they let it sit outside?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I thinking it should be treated like rust on the underbodies of cars which dont really have much of an effect they just stay as surface rust

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine is starting to show flash rust as well and I'm in Southeast Texas with no road salt idk. Time will tell if it will be a problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have noticed a little on mine after riding on salty roads and pressure washing it off, but that seems a little excessive especially for a brand new machine. Do they let it sit outside?
Yep left outside for the most part. They seem to move them around quite a bit though. I have a couple other dealers around so I'll see if they treat their 'new' machines any different.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I used to work for a Caterpillar dealer here in Alberta and I know Cat had a batch of machines shipped by boat that mistakenly never had the rust inhibitor spray applied before they were put on the ship for the journey. Well we received 3 M-series graders that lasted about 3 months before the surface rust turned to ugly bulging rust. Cat paid for complete restorations on all these machines. I just wonder if this is what's happening?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine has this rust and has never been in salt. My rhino also did this. I have had it since 2008 and it never got worse. You should check with Yamaha anyway to see what they say about it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
AH I think its just a surface wound. Ever notice your brake pads will get felcked with rust every now and then, at least mine do through the winter. Its no big IMO

·
Registered
854 Posts
rust proofing is a good idea, im sure some rust proofing businesses in areas that get snow have at least heard of or rust proofed an ATV/UTV

·
Registered
124 Posts
Spray some LPS 3 or something like it on the bare metal areas and it will curb rust from starting. The stuff works pretty good, it displaces moisture and leaves a soft, waxy finish. Then just touch it up if it wares off.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts