Viking Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing the eps kit. Took me exactly 4 hours, close to a half hour spent trying to figure out how to remove roll cage (per the instruction) by myself without damaging the viking or myself.

The cage has to be removed to fully remove the entire front plastic panel to better access all the steering linkage. After getting the roll cage ready to either lift off or raised out of the way, i hit on another idea--don't take it off!

I removed all the panel trim and attachment screws, lifted the piece straight up (fighting those damned convenient drink holders), and pushed the piece up the roll cage to the roof and clamped it in place.
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior Hangar

After that, great access for the installation which is pretty straight forward. Fit and finish on the kit is great.

My only problem--I have two plastic trim screws left over and cannot find where they go. About to drive me nuts!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Thats a great idea on the front plastics, We didn't think of that, and removed the Roll cage, and front plastics completely. Getting the roll cage back on was easy, getting the part where the 3 headrests back attached to the roll cage was the fun part, lol.

Install took us about the same, or a little longer, just getting everything aligned just right.

Did you put the screws underneath back in, by the Headlights?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was the only pic during installation. I started to take pics several times, but the pic would have been of a part taken off or a part added. I did find a video on youtube with a polaris installation. Shouldn't be too much difference.

Yes, i did put the screws behind the headlights--but those are metal. The two i have left are the plastic trim. I'm thinking all those trim screws piled into the container caused them to have sex and multiply. That's what I'm going with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just thought I'd add that this install might be an all day project for some folk especially without the tools that just make things easier. I really think I could have shaved off an hour had I not spent so much time pondering/unbolting/re-attaching the cage. Ratcheting flex head wrenches (Gearwrench or equivalent) were a huge help. Truly, the hardest part was removing the steering wheel trim piece and removing the steering wheel. A standard s/w puller doesnt work because the wheel isn't tapped for bolts. I wrapped my arms around it and applied brute force, to no result. Then I grabbed it with very little effort and it just popped loose (remember--never fully remove the s/w shaft nut until the s/w is loose. Think busted nose!)

Other than that, it is just a lot of dissambly and re-assembly with extra components.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Well, let us know how you like it after you get it all buttoned up. We had what felt like a snag when turning the wheel one way or another, just in a certain spot it would feel that way, had to loosen things up, adjust and it went away. We are very happy with it our on Viking!!!

We had to wait an extra day or so, because they didn't put the main wiring in the box, but they where REALLY nice about it, and sent it overnight.

·
Super Moderator
4,612 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the post. I would have liked power steering on my Viking however it isn't available from Yamaha here in Australia, so this might be a good option. I'm just wondering, why did you buy the Viking without EPS in the first place only to add it later?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the post. I would have liked power steering on my Viking however it isn't available from Yamaha here in Australia, so this might be a good option. I'm just wondering, why did you buy the Viking without EPS in the first place only to add it later?
I got the first Viking my dealer recieved back in very early August of last year. So no EPS models.

An EPS model cost more, so more $$$ on the monthly payment.

We didn't really think we wanted or Needed EPS.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I intended all along to have eps--wanted to see how it felt to drive without it, and the viking really steers and handled fine without it, even with the larger wheels/tires installed last night.

Second on the additional dollars. I saved close to 40% on the cost of factory eps, with the added plus I got to do a project. Give me a box with lots of nuts and bolts and stuff to put together, and I am in heaven. I'm just not going to spend my hard earned cash to pay someone to do something that I can do. Yes, I'm dain bramaged, but that is another story . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts