Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put the "Strong Made lift kit" on last weekend and wanted to share what I found.

First off, the kit is very simple, well made and easy to install. What I found out though was a little disappointing only because what I wanted it for, and what it does, are not the same.

Again, the kit is listed as a 2" to 3" adjustable lift. However, it's a little different than that. You will get the 3" out of the front...and then only 1 1/2" out of the rear. To compensate for the rear sag, I was hoping that it would raise the rear by the 3". With the extra weight of a spray-on bed liner, the spare tire and carrier, the OEM tool box and bed mat....and then the added height of 27" tires and the lift kit, I still only have 12" of clearance to the bottom of the receiver.(I started with 10 1/2") I had 14"+ up front with the kit on...so I took the front completely off because it was sitting quite nose high.

If you measure the distance from the factory shock mount holes to the holes in the rear lift kit...it is only 1 1/2 inches apart, and the holes are pretty much in line. So there is no way the kit can raise the rear the 3".

They actually have the install instructions listed online, and you will see that they specifically note a 3" setting for the rear. In my opinion, this is very misleading. SMYV700 - 2"-3" Lift Kit For Yamaha Viking 700 2014

In short, You just need to know what you are getting. This kit DOES NOT lift both the front and rear 3".

Personally, for $150....I would not recommend it. :(
JMO

·
Registered
163 Posts
While with your extra weight it's not the case I am guessing on a stock unloaded machine that it may come closer to the 3" lift. While it's only moving the shock mounting point 1.5" that is multiplied at the end of the A-arm(move the center a inch and it moves the end two).

I am also trying to remedy the rear sag and have a super atv lift on order. I will let you know if it remedies the sag any better than the strong made. That's if they ever ship it.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While with your extra weight it's not the case I am guessing on a stock unloaded machine that it may come closer to the 3" lift. While it's only moving the shock mounting point 1.5" that is multiplied at the end of the A-arm(move the center a inch and it moves the end two).

I am also trying to remedy the rear sag and have a super atv lift on order. I will let you know if it remedies the sag any better than the strong made. That's if they ever ship it.

I spoke with the engineer at Strong Made and in fact confirmed that their kit is designed to lift the front approx. 3", and then bring the rear up level with that. If any of you have ever put a lift kit on a truck...this is the same thing that happens with most of those kits. So the kit works fine...I just think the wording in the instructions leads one to believe that there is 3" of lift available for the rear. BTW: He did recommend spring shims for the Viking because of what appears to be softer springs.

I was looking at the photos posted by aronsrb, and it looks like the Super ATV lift not only moves the mounting point down...but it also appears to move it out. This not only adds lift, but it also changes the shock angle, which might work better as far as reducing sag due to weight??????

My Strong Made lift does not change the angle...it just moves the upper shock mount down. I find this interesting because the kit not only moves the front shock mounting points a little closer...but it also moves them in and noticeably changes the shock angel.

Either way, the Strong Made kit did add 1 1/2" of lift to mine and, even if the Super ATV lift does add the 2" as advertised...I wonder if I would still just gain another 1/2". Or...would it lift it more, and compensate for the added weight better, because of the different shock angle????

Crummy: Would you please hurry up and get your kit :eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
He did recommend spring shims for the Viking because of what appears to be softer springs.

What are these shims and where do we get them?

Purchased the super atv kit five days ago and still hasn't shipped.

·
Registered
965 Posts
What are these shims and where do we get them?

Purchased the super atv kit five days ago and still hasn't shipped.
I ordered mine directly from superatv and I received it the next day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
I ordered mine directly from superatv and I received it the next day

I tried that route and they wanted a small fortune for Alaska shipping. Maybe you could send me one or haul it up in that snazzy pickup... Lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mass, If you are going to toss that strong made kit...toss it my way, I will give you some cash for it. I plan on welding new mounts on my A arms but the strong made kit will give me something to drill different holes in for testing. It would be cool to have a kit with several options to fit all of our needs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Finally shipped this morning parcel post so it should only be another 10 days until I get it. Not real sure that this particular eBay seller will be getting positive feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mass, If you are going to toss that strong made kit...toss it my way, I will give you some cash for it. I plan on welding new mounts on my A arms but the strong made kit will give me something to drill different holes in for testing. It would be cool to have a kit with several options to fit all of our needs.
I'm going to keep the rear mounts on...unless someone comes up with something better. I might even try to fabricate something for the rear as well. If I used these as a template and then moved the mounting holes out changing the shock angle like the Super ATV lift???? I just need to make sure I don't over do it an put the CV joints in a bind.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just need to make sure I don't over do it an put the CV joints in a bind.
Are you wanting to compensate for the extra weight and bring it back to stock height or actually add lift above the stock height?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you wanting to compensate for the extra weight and bring it back to stock height or actually add lift above the stock height?
If you figure that the Vikings are promoted as having 11.8 inches of clearance, then add in the fact that I have added 27" tires and a supposed 3" lift...that should mean that I should have around 15" of clearance. Yet, with everything I have done...I have only been able to get it back to where it would have been in the first place.

With what I have done, I would have thought it would have compensated for the weight...and added SOME additional lift. I did add some weight...but not THAT much!

In short, I want to compensate for the added weight, AND gain a LITTLE/SOME/ANY ground clearance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
sometimes it isn't actually about the amount of weight but rather the location of the added weight. For example, the rear tire carrier you added might only have a total weight of 100 lbs (including the tire/rim) but because of it's location it has the same effect as if you added 150 lbs (or more) directly over the rear axle. This is why so many people go to 5th wheel campers instead of bumper pull units. weight distribution is critical.

·
Registered
167 Posts
sometimes it isn't actually about the amount of weight but rather the location of the added weight. For example, the rear tire carrier you added might only have a total weight of 100 lbs (including the tire/rim) but because of it's location it has the same effect as if you added 150 lbs (or more) directly over the rear axle. This is why so many people go to 5th wheel campers instead of bumper pull units. weight distribution is critical.
That is a good point, its best to keep weight within the wheelbase and as low as possible!

Mass, instead of stiffer springs perhaps you can give them better leverage....moving the lower mount outward would have a much larger effect than moving the top...look at the lower control arm as a prybar trying to lift the shock by raising the wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is a good point, its best to keep weight within the wheelbase and as low as possible!

Mass, instead of stiffer springs perhaps you can give them better leverage....moving the lower mount outward would have a much larger effect than moving the top...look at the lower control arm as a prybar trying to lift the shock by raising the wheel.
Yep...that's what the Super ATV lift looks like it does. It seems to get its lift by moving the upper shock mount out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yep...that's what the Super ATV lift looks like it does. It seems to get its lift by moving the upper shock mount out.

We will know as soon as USPS gets moving.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts