Viking Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Change battery an put new coil on my 2014 viking went tug o start an it starts but when the key goes back to on shuts off. Was told it was key switch replaced it still does the same thing out of ideas could use some help

·
Registered
43 Posts
When you replaced the battery did you disconnect the starter relay? If so is it possible the large wires are swapped on the relay? That would only allow power when the key is in the start position. Just a guess...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Other thought is pull the key switch back out and make sure the contact pins are straight. They have a tendency to bend easily if not perfectly aligned when you plug it in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A couple of guy’s on the Grizzly forum had this same issue and it was reversed wires. It’s easy to do and they also said some after market relays are labeled wrong. So like BlueBull said start there if that doesn’t make a difference swap the key switch wires.
I was beginning to wonder what happened to everyone, this is the first post in 4-5 day’s. 😁

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
So how come you changed the battery and put a new coil in in the first place, what was the issue causing that? Failing the above suggestions, are you sure it's stalling when you back the key off, maybe it's firing and then cutting out anyway, the cut out just happens to coincide with when you let the key off?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I was beginning to wonder what happened to everyone, this is the first post in 4-5 day’s. 😁
Yeah same! I've been up at Nymboida the last 4 days with no cell service, so couldn't contribute. As you and I are the main contributors atm I thought both BadMonkey and bdSkrillz would've both downed a couple of covid growlers and put some effort into posting up!

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
I've been prepping for the Zombie Apocalypse now that Biden is president elect.

And Skrillz has been busy popping outside the Whitehouse.

Sent from my SM-F707U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was starting slow and was hard to start was the reasonfor changing the other stuff but on the key switch it does the same with the new as the old one it starts on runs as long as you hold the key in the start position when releasing it the machine turns off I have retraced all my wires all is right nothing been crossed fuel pump is good has good fire just won't stay running when releasing the key
When you replaced the battery did you disconnect the starter relay? If so is it possible the large wires are swapped on the relay? That would only allow power when the key is in the start position. Just a guess...
I did when I rechecked it an reversed them it won't even start

·
Registered
43 Posts
So when you turn the key to the run position but not to crank, does the fuel pump run? Does the display come on? Any trouble codes displayed? I'm still betting on the relay. The run power goes through the same relay. I assume you checked all the fuses. Unusual...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Was your new coil OEM?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes fuel pump runs no codes when switch wires back it won't even start put back the other way starts but when key goes from start to on position it quits

·
Registered
3,741 Posts

Sent from my SM-F707U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BadM0nkey

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with Bluebull that you need to try a new relay next

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
So when you hold the key to start for say 15 seconds does it idle perfectly normal? Can you rev it up at all? When you let the key off does it cough or splutter then die or run on a bit then die or does it just cut right out as if you hit a kill switch?

And you've put a new spark plug in it, checked the air filter etc, no water in the fuel?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts

Donald rang me last night and assured me that he has won? He also said that he never cheats at golf?

Is skrillz still popping?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts