Viking Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well about 3 weeks ago I pulled all four sets of brake pads out of my Viking. I read a post where a guy pulled the pads and added silicon brake grease to the pads, pins and sliders and
when he was done the brake squeak was gone. Well I was tired of driving around my neighborhood and hearing my new SxS squeak like crazy. It drives me nuts and is unacceptable on a brand new machine. So I pulled the pads and cleaned up the sliders in the calipers and the pads and pins. Next I lightly sanded the pin that the pads slide on and added motorkote then silicone to them.These pads had a real tight fit on the pin and had a little build up causing them to not slide the best. Next I cleaned the sliders on the calipers and motorkoted and siliconed them as well as the pads where they touch the sliders. If your not familiar with Motorkote its a friction fighter you add to motors diffs etc. This stuff is really amazing and it soaks into the metal and makes things real smooth. You can add this stuff to rusted bolts and nuts and it will work into the metal and work the rust out. Anyhow I did this to my brakes and put it back together and to my amazement the annoying squeaks were gone. WOW what a pleasure it was to ride my Viking around at slower speeds. So I was sold on the short term but wasn't sure how it would hold up to dusty muddy trail riding. So this weekend I put on 150 miles on the trails thru mud sand pavement etc and low and behold the squeaks are still gone. When wet you get a very little amount of squeak for a few seconds till they dry when applying brakes which is like a car. Now I didn't Barry the Viking up to the axles in mud so I'm not sure if that will make a difference but for normal trail riding it worked Great! So for anyone looking to get rid of the squeaky brakes it can be done for cheap and in about 1.5hrs. Maybe faster for better mechanics than myself. I will keep you guys updated with my results as the miles add up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice work. Thanks for the info. That's my biggest complaint so far. Hated having a machine with less than 100 miles on it and the brakes squeaking like it was wore out. Guess that will be part of my Saturday morning now:)

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Great help there MXZ!

I would have thought that the squeaking came from the pads rubbing on the discs, but it seems not. Funnily enough mine don't squeak at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cactus you are correct. It is the pads rubbing on the disc. The pads hang up on the pins because they are real tight. Also by adding the silicon grease to the sliders and pins it allows the pads to release from the disc and return to normal position. Cacked mud might hinder a bit but mine works great after a dirty trail ride. The Can Am I rode with this weekend had break squeak by the end of our trail ride but my Viking was quiet still.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok....I had squeaky brakes too. My buddy was with me (he is a mechanic for a bike shop) and we were coming down my hill. He said to use both feet and press the gas and the brake simultaneously. I rode down the hill (1/4 mile or so, with a foot on the gas, one on the brakes (awkward I know). Guess what....no brake noise since then (that was about 1000 miles ago). And no, I didn't remove all the material from the pads.

YRMV
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ok....I had squeaky brakes too. My buddy was with me (he is a mechanic for a bike shop) and we were coming down my hill. He said to use both feet and press the gas and the brake simultaneously. I rode down the hill (1/4 mile or so, with a foot on the gas, one on the brakes (awkward I know). Guess what....no brake noise since then (that was about 1000 miles ago). And no, I didn't remove all the material from the pads.

YRMV
Steve
Yeah, thats what my dealer recmmended to me after i got my Viking, owrks very well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Helped with my brakes. Still a little squeak when they get wet

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well about 3 weeks ago I pulled all four sets of brake pads out of my Viking. I read a post where a guy pulled the pads and added silicon brake grease to the pads, pins and sliders and
when he was done the brake squeak was gone. Well I was tired of driving around my neighborhood and hearing my new SxS squeak like crazy. It drives me nuts and is unacceptable on a brand new machine. So I pulled the pads and cleaned up the sliders in the calipers and the pads and pins. Next I lightly sanded the pin that the pads slide on and added motorkote then silicone to them.These pads had a real tight fit on the pin and had a little build up causing them to not slide the best. Next I cleaned the sliders on the calipers and motorkoted and siliconed them as well as the pads where they touch the sliders. If your not familiar with Motorkote its a friction fighter you add to motors diffs etc. This stuff is really amazing and it soaks into the metal and makes things real smooth. You can add this stuff to rusted bolts and nuts and it will work into the metal and work the rust out. Anyhow I did this to my brakes and put it back together and to my amazement the annoying squeaks were gone. WOW what a pleasure it was to ride my Viking around at slower speeds. So I was sold on the short term but wasn't sure how it would hold up to dusty muddy trail riding. So this weekend I put on 150 miles on the trails thru mud sand pavement etc and low and behold the squeaks are still gone. When wet you get a very little amount of squeak for a few seconds till they dry when applying brakes which is like a car. Now I didn't Barry the Viking up to the axles in mud so I'm not sure if that will make a difference but for normal trail riding it worked Great! So for anyone looking to get rid of the squeaky brakes it can be done for cheap and in about 1.5hrs. Maybe faster for better mechanics than myself. I will keep you guys updated with my results as the miles add up.
Nice! Well if the squeak ever comes back.... :mad:

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Brought mine home today. Front brakes squeak like a mofo. I will try the gas and brake trick tomorrow after I get the winch mounted.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Works for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts