Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body try making a panel for behind seats yet? I couldn't find a thread with it. Here are some pictures of what I'm making!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Looking good so far, what are the materials you are useing?

Im sure you've seen all of member Mass-n-Trash stuff he's done, and I ordered the same materials he used, from the same place he got his locally. Should be alot nice afterwards.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made a panel from sheet steel, gonna have bed liner sprayed on it when I spray my bumpers. Took it for a spin down the driveway as is and it seems to help a lot. Then I'll put the back window in and the rubber mat under the seat too.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Is it possible that there's some sound deadening material that you can line it with to make it even more effective?
Looks clean!

I would put some of the same MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) I used on my project. It's rated substantially higher in deadening than "Dynamat." Either way, I would highly recommend using something. Just like the front of the bed...that sheet metal will be a great sound resonator.

Camo-eps...What are you going to put between the bed and that panel?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are you going to do anything about the sharp edge at the top of the sheet steel. I just figure you'd want to put something on there so that it doesn't cut someone by accident. Does it work for sound protection already without any other sound deadening material, or does it really need that to be effective?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mass I'm planning on putting the rubber Bedliner scraps on top of engine like you did, and I have some sound deadening and heat shield material I'm gonna stick on the new steel piece. And yes hawkman I'm gonna put door edge guard on the edge before getting it sprayed, it seemed to help the noise some just by itself so I'm hopeful it will be very nice when it's done.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
You're definitely on the right track! I would also recommend some deadening material under the seats. All that's between you and the noise source is that thin piece of plastic. It's full of holes too.

Either way, I'll bet it makes a difference.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Looks clean!

I would put some of the same MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) I used on my project. It's rated substantially higher in deadening than "Dynamat." Either way, I would highly recommend using something. Just like the front of the bed...that sheet metal will be a great sound resonator.

Camo-eps...What are you going to put between the bed and that panel?
Really, I always thought dynamat was "gold standard" when it comes to sound deadening. Good to know MLV is rated higher, does it cost more too or what?

Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
The MLV is a two part sound absorption and barrier. It has a closed cell foam bonded to a heavy rubber/vinyl backing. I was surprised to find out that 1/4" of the MLV has more sound deadening ability that the 1" foam. You can get it two ways...peel and stick or standard. (you need to use contact cement with the standard version)

Price? I'm not sure. I bought everything as a package, and the whole kit runs $175. You can purchase it by the lineal ft. and I think the rolls are 4' wide.

It's worth a call to the company I bought it from (Randy) he can give specific numbers. There some sort of rating given to all sound deadening material. I think the MLV is something like 41-46...then I think the Dynamat was in the 20's?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I ordered my stuff where M-N-T got his, I told them i was a member here, and seen what M-N-T aka Don, had done to his, and I wanted the same materials he used for his. Like Don said, it ended up being right at $175+60 to ship it to me in Texas.

So If they looked up his account, i should be getting the same stuff, it came up to the same amount he paid, so all should be good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally finished the panel behind the seats, pretty noticeable difference, I'm happy!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Very nice

·
Registered
963 Posts
Looks like you did nice work but I would be concerned about restricting air flow to the exhaust, it runs very hot as it is. Might be something to keep an eye on, let us know how it works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
nice man put of some vids of inside driving if possible im gonna be doing this

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
People that haven't done any soundproofing at all to there Viking, dont know what there missing!! Its so much nicer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts