Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my kit last night. As promised, I tested the noise before and after installation with a decibel meter (free app on my iPhone). I tested while parked (to eliminate wind noise as a variable), holding the phone at head level directly above the center seat. Before installation the meter read about 78-80 dB at idle, while at full throttle it read about 98-100 dB. The needle was jumping a little, so a really accurate reading was impossible (hey, it was a free app, after all :eek: ).

After installation, the meter read about 74-76 dB at idle and about 94-96 dB at full throttle. At first glance that doesn't sound like much, but you need to remember that dB is a logarithmic scale, thus every 10 dB increase represents 10 times the sound intensity. A drop of 3-5 dB is very noticeable.

Overall I'm pleased with the kit. The kit fit nicely, installation was straightforward, and the improvement in sound intensity was good. The real test, however, will come tomorrow on the trail. If we can have a conversation at 25mph I'll be one happy camper.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Received my kit last night. As promised, I tested the noise before and after installation with a decibel meter (free app on my iPhone). I tested while parked (to eliminate wind noise as a variable), holding the phone at head level directly above the center seat. Before installation the meter read about 78-80 dB at idle, while at full throttle it read about 98-100 dB. The needle was jumping a little, so a really accurate reading was impossible (hey, it was a free app, after all :eek: ).

After installation, the meter read about 74-76 dB at idle and about 94-96 dB at full throttle. At first glance that doesn't sound like much, but you need to remember that dB is a logarithmic scale, thus every 10 dB increase represents 10 times the sound intensity. A drop of 3-5 dB is very noticeable.

Overall I'm pleased with the kit. The kit fit nicely, installation was straightforward, and the improvement in sound intensity was good. The real test, however, will come tomorrow on the trail. If we can have a conversation at 25mph I'll be one happy camper.
Heading out tomorrow for a full day of riding in the high country. Will let you know also if a conversation can be had while using our machines in different conditions.:D

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Working on the install now of the kit, gonna take awhile at this pace, trying to figure out where everything goes, need some real pics!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Working on the install now of the kit, gonna take awhile at this pace, trying to figure out where everything goes, need some real pics!!
It took me about 40 minutes after I laid all the pieces out of the box. The two pieces that go under the middle seat was the hardest. I turned those darn things every which way and even unbolted and removed the seat frame before it made sense. I sort of felt dumb when I finally figured out how they went. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Now you'll be able to sneak up on people in your Viking. I never knew the Vikings to be a stealthy people, but its a new era I guess. :p

Did you want to deaden the sound just to make things quieter for you, or was there another reason you wanted it quieter?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
im looking and looking, i got the drivers side piece in, but still cant figure out what is the middle and pass side parts. One pieces is more flat, and the other has kinda of a lift it in it, and its not "flat" like the other, anybody help?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm at work for a half hour if nobody had helped u, I'll take some pics when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I'm at work for a half hour if nobody had helped u, I'll take some pics when I get home

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm assuming your talking about seat belt pieces passinger side
middle pieces

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If thats not what u need let me know

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you want to deaden the sound just to make things quieter for you, or was there another reason you wanted it quieter?
Just wanted to be able to talk to the passengers. Not too worried about sneaking up on anybody.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Viking2k14, how did u make out with putting the kit on.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Viking2k14, how did u make out with putting the kit on.
Finally finished this morning, sort of, lol. It wasnt easy for us, didn't seem ike anything went right. But i think its done pretty much....

I've got the Yamaha Rear window, and ih ad rolled it up over the roof, while installing the rear panels, and now it wont work. I saw a member or 2 that have the same setup, and they said something about poking holes in the window where the zip ties go, so im guessing they put the rear panel over the back of the rear window, on the outside, im not sure, i sent a PM to one of them, no reply thus far.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
I'd imagine you would have to leave the window in place and put the panels over the OUTSIDE of the window, then poke the holes through the window for the zip ties.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I'd imagine you would have to leave the window in place and put the panels over the OUTSIDE of the window, then poke the holes through the window for the zip ties.
You are correct I'll have to correct that sometime this week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trail ride was cut short by a cold front, but did get to test the dampener. We could now have a conversation at 20mph, but had to talk loudly to do so. Better, but still not great. I may try adding some foam to see if it improves the situation.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I've got the foam stuff like Mass-n-trash has, got it all between the seats, backrests, and across the top of seats between bed and seats, and it really makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Went out on a 50 mile dirt road trip today in the Sierra's. Most of the time was driving around 20-30 mph. Before I make the next statement my hearing isn't great :eek:...... so not real impressed with the sound proofing kit at speed. Going slow there was a noticable different for the better:), however as soon as you apply some throttle and have some speed it isn't that great:mad:. Cruising on the flat was OK and decents were about the same. I am going to add sometype of sounding for sure to the two large pieces behind the seats.

I don't mine the engine noise myself but when you are hanging with someone it would be nice to not have to yell back and forth. Just saying.....

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Yeah, i agree with ya, personally, knowing what i know now about it, i probally wouldn't spend the $90 on it, that i did, but hey, it did help a little, and with it and the sounproofing materials i already had in it, it's even better.

Reactions: Endureusa

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, i agree with ya, personally, knowing what i know now about it, i probally wouldn't spend the $90 on it, that i did, but hey, it did help a little, and with it and the sounproofing materials i already had in it, it's even better.
Yep...It needs the additional soundproofing materials. Face it we can only add so much material to a confined space to make it better. Having done this you have done all you can do. Yamaha has to better address this in R & D and then do a better job on their assembly line. Oh well still love the machine, its a work horse for what I do....

Reactions: Teryx2k16
1 - 20 of 40 Posts