Viking Forum banner

Snowplow issue.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Sport4x4 
#1 ·
My wife’s family coming here today for a early Thanksgiving dinner so I had to get the driveway plowed this morning. The push tube pin came off and twisted the mount and push tube where it gets pinned. Had to put a ratchet strap on the plow to lift it and get it back to the barn.
My neighbor came down with a 6’ pipe to help me straighten it back out with heat added. The weld started to separate a little. The frame mount I was able to straighten with a big hammer.
So my question is has anyone else had a pin come off? And are you using something other than a hitch pin for this reason? I’m thinking of using a bolt and nylock nut to prevent this Again but that negates the quick on & off…not a big deal though. Bottom picture is after straightening with hammer, that was spread and twisted
Wood Water Flash photography Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Chair Tread Table

See less See more
#2 ·
Thinking about this I realize it’s a dumb question.
most anything with a pin of some sort is subject to it coming off. I have been plowing for years with these type of pins with no issues until today. I will be using a bolt and nut going forward though so it doesn't happen again.

#3 ·
yep I’ve had the pins fall out of mine very early into ownership. I now use grade 8 bolts and nuts.

Reactions: Sport4x4
#4 ·
We use heaps of different styles of pins on tractors for that exact reason, if you've got a tractor shop nearby go and see what they have. for example there are removable pins that are quite sturdy so they can be used just above ground level where the brush etc is dragging over them. Maybe a lynch pin with a locking snap ring or similar.

Reactions: Sport4x4
#5 ·
Good idea, I will check them out.

Reactions: cactus
#6 ·
Here's a Snowplow / Winch question i'm trying to troubleshoot. I just installed a Denali 72' plow from Moto Alliance (super nice to work with BTW). So the Install went great, minimal tool throwing and bleeding. I had previously installed a Viper MX5000 winch on my Viking. So here's the long waited issue, when I turn the key to Aux only the winch moves the plow great. When the viking motor is running and I operate the winch with the plow it bogs out rather quickly. I have to release the switch then push it several times to raise the blade. So is this a incorrect wire job on the winch, old/bad battery or just normal?

#7 ·
Definitely not normal. Could be wired wrong but I would suspect the battery first, but since it works fine with motor not running im back to something wired wrong.

#9 ·
Let us know what you find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.