Viking Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2018 camo VI
346 Posts
I'm still a FNG here on the Viking forum but I've been riding Yamahas since I was 10 years old. Most of my family and friends are Yamaha guys too. I picked up my Viking a little while back after getting tired of my Wolverine Rspec and the oil burning issues. I've been doing a few upgrades along the way and I'm getting it dialed in the way I want it.

Last weekend and we did some wrenching and maintenance at my brother's place. Did some CVT service on a couple and installed slug kits in all 5 of the Vikings in the picture. It was a really fun day.

View attachment 51249

View attachment 51250

View attachment 51251
What size of tires are on the Vikings in this pic? 27x9x12 or 28x9x14

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mine (blue) is 27x9-12 square set up. The cammo one is my brother's. He runs 27x9-12 front and 11 wide on the rear.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The red Viking (you can't really see it in the pictures) has 28x9.5-14 HTRs. Those thing look really tall and skinny to me on 14s compared to the 27s on 12s. We have LOTS of HTRs in our riding group - four sets on Grizzlies and four sets on Vikings. They seem to be a good all around tire for a decent price. They're just noisy on the road.

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Does he have any issues with the 28x9’s as far as power goes? I don’t think there is even a pound difference between the 27x9 and the 28’s
I honestly don't know what he would say. He's a pretty casual trail cruiser and it's his first SXS. The only thing I know he had issues with was the front tires rubbed so he went to SATV offset a-arms. With regard to weight, the tires are about the same but 14" rims would add a few pounds per wheel. I assume your wanting more ground clearance?

·
Registered
2018 camo VI
346 Posts
well I kept my spacers in and just added the super atv rhino axles. The stock axle was fine but the boot just pulled off. I have a super atv 2” lift also. But for trails I was thinking of putting htrs back on. I’m going to put a 1mm shim in my clutch and take the .75mm out. Duck hunting I need the low end grunt. But yes the 28” would give me extra clearance also.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I’ve been running 30s for years on my 2014. Up and down mountains no problem. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I’ve been running 30s for years on my 2014. Up and down mountains no problem. Maybe I’m just lucky.
I don't think you're lucky. Well, maybe you're lucky in many other ways... 😁 The totally stock Yamaha CVT/wet clutch is a proven design. I added the slugs because I like the way it changes the engagement and it matches my needs for the Viking. Slugs are certainly not required as you know. I don't have slugs in my Grizzlies because I like they way they work stock.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I don't think you're lucky. Well, maybe you're lucky in many other ways... 😁 The totally stock Yamaha CVT/wet clutch is a proven design. I added the slugs because I like the way it changes the engagement and it matches my needs for the Viking. Slugs are certainly not required as you know. I don't have slugs in my Grizzlies because I like they way they work stock.
I do have the clutch upgrade. I’ve been running JBS Extreme Sheave w/ 16g Slugs since 2014. But no problems with the axle binding with 30s and a 2 inch lift kit. And the clutch has been fine so far for many years.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,369 Posts
I ordered a Slug kit, Tink Seal, wet clutch nut, secondary slippery washers and secondary spring compressor from HW yesterday. Looking forward to getting these in to see the difference. I did get a call from HW late yesterday to let me know that the wet clutch gasket is out of stock and they will hold my order until it comes in. They are supposed to get more of them in at the end of this week so hopefully I have everything by the end of next week.
Then I have to find the time to install it, sometimes that’s a challenge.
FYI, they have permanently discontinued their machined sheave for the Viking.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,369 Posts
My slug kit and slippery washers came yesterday so I started tearing down the Viking this afternoon. Really not a hard job just time consuming. Went pretty smooth except when I started putting oil back in and realized after putting in almost a quart I had forgotten to put the drain plug back in 🤬🤬.
well hopefully that’s the only thing I did wrong putting it back together. All I have left is to assemble the primary clutch and button it up. I did not put that back in because my roller weights were just starting to get flat spots on them so I ordered new ones from HW. So probably won’t be back together until end of the week.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,369 Posts
I forgot to mention that at 1090 miles my wet clutch looked like it had gotten hot a few times, probably from some of the heavy trailer loads of firewood I have pulled. So I lightly sanded the wet clutch pads surface to clean them up, they still had plenty of material left. I’m glad I didn’t wait until the 1500 mile Yamaha maintenance schedule. In fact I now wish I would have done this sooner now.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
2018 camo VI
346 Posts
That is one thing I do and don’t like about Yamaha. The wet clutch. Fairly easy to burn up with a heavy machine if not careful, and expensive to replace. A blown belt would sometimes be easier and cheaper to replace. I’ve burnt one clutch up already, and I noticed the other day the limiter was kicking in 1 mph sooner. I use low all the time, especially hunting. But I carry 2 dogs, lots of decoys, blinds, and other gear hunting. That is the one thing I miss and don’t miss about my old ranger, if I burnt a belt I could have it replaced in 10 min and be on my way.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts